Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New member build

Default New member build

New to the forum as I just bought my M715. Its not my first MV and definitely not my first 4x4.

Truck is set up now with sbc/nv4500/np205/stock axles. after not being able to go ANYWHERE without tons of attention I have decided to turn this thing into a wild little rig that is very streetable.

The plan is 5.3/700r4/stak 3 speed (5.44/3.05/1:1)/ built HP60/ sterling 10.5. (5.13 r&p) 4 wheel disc brakes. And slick up the body a little. For suspension, the plan is to stay leaf sprung rear and coilover front with single triangulated 4-link on 46" goodyears. Hydro assist steering. I have all parts already except 20" 8 lug wheels, so Im hoping the process will not be a lengthy process.

If its something that you guys would be interested in I will post the build progress. Also where could I list the parts taken off the truck? I haven't seen a classified section.

Also, I did a lot of reading on this forum before buying truck researching info on trucks. So thank you for all the information!!

Welcome to the Zone Mehaffey.

Its funny You say You get tons of attention , no matter where you go in the M 715.

We all like pictures here, to give us all some ideas...

If You have a free photobucket account, its easy to post pics here.

As for the Classified section, here is a link to make a new post.

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=36

just click on "new topic" and You are good to go.

Of course we are all interested in Your build !

Post away and send pics !
    lots of good folks here will help You with any questions.

Welcome again,
    to the best site on the net IMHO
    hostis est intra portas tuas

Welcome to the Zone! As Blitz said we do like pictures.
    1969 M715

Sounds like a fun build. Post up pics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Headed out of town for a couple days but have made a good bit of progress on the truck. 5.3 and 700R4 are mounted and the case should be mounted with another cross member today. Also ordered new trusses and link tabs from Artec industries that should hopefully be here by the time I get back home. I will update with pictures when I return.

Also got creative with some accessories on the truck. I turned a couple NOS items into truck parts. old style grenade drilled out bottom and welded in a nut and is now on the Winters cable shifter. Also I have 3 spent 50 cal casings that I pan to have brazed and used as shifter knobs on the triple stick t-case shifters. As well as a old military water bottle as radiator overflow. Will update with pics upon returning Monday.

Finally getting around to post some pics. Got axle trusses in today and got the rear done. Still gotta do some grinding and cleaning on the front before its ready for the new truss but hopefully tomorrow.

got the 5.3 and the new built 700R4 sitting in place.. Really excited about the goodies in this trans. Was hoping to do a cam in the 5.3 but was scared I'd be out of my budget at the end if I went into the motor so for now its stock other than the tuning.

Here's the shifter knob I made from a WW2 era (I think) grenade on the winters shifter while at a small stand still with the truck and bored in the shop. Still working on shifters for the triple stick t-case but I have a pretty cool idea if I can make it work.

Cant say enough about how perfect the Artec truss fit on the axle. All I did was weld all the pieces together and it pretty much dropped right in place. All I will have to do is shorten it a little probably depending on where perches will fall once I get it underneath truck.

I know on some other sites guys like to see the quality of the work, so here's some booger welds on the truss.

One more pic of just how great the truss hugged the axle. Was able to get the cast diff welded up a little so thats pretty good even though its overkill.

Looks nice. Keep the pictures coming

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

what are folks doing for body lifts on cab/front clip? I just ordered the pucks ($40) and planned on going to Fastenal and ordering bolts. Then addressing steering as needed. Is there an easier way?

As for body mounts, a lot of guys have used boat trailer rollers. Cut them to size with a band saw or reciprocating saw. You may have to drill the middle out a bit larger for the bolts. They work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Troop ISP View Post
    As for body mounts, a lot of guys have used boat trailer rollers. Cut them to size with a band saw or reciprocating saw. You may have to drill the middle out a bit larger for the bolts. They work well.
    THanks for the advice. I ordered actual body lift blocks from Zone Offroad then pulled all the body mount bolts and ordered 3" longer from local Fastenal. Everything should be in by Friday. Then I will be able to finish up crossmembers and t-case clocking.