Thread: Bellhousing/flywheel removal, need advice

Default Bellhousing/flywheel removal, need advice

I'm trying to get the bellhousing and flywheel off of the engine but there is a bolt directly above the crankshaft that I cant reach, The flywheel will not come off of the crank studs because it hits the bellhousing, and I cant get to the bolt because of the flywheel!!! I've removed the engine to facilitate re-sealing it but, I've hit a snag with this dilemma, what say ye zoners?!

The manual instructs to tap the crank/flywheel bolts back a ways with a soft hammer, after removing the nuts and lock washers.
    You will need to remove the pan, so that you can watch that you don't tap the bolts back too far.
    Mine didn't seem to want to budge, so I just removed crank and flywheel together.
    I will put it back the same way during the overhaul.

Yep, what he said!

i never had to pull my pan when i took out my flywheel,just tap the bolts back. its a real bugger of a job,I hated every inch of the way doing it.
    morgan

I know it's an old thread but I just bought a 715 and after about the third crank the starter started missing so I pulled it and sure enough, flywheel is chewed...can someone talk me through this? It can't be done without pulling the engine?

I was able to loosen the flywheel and push it toward the transmission...transmission removed of course...then with a wrench, I was able to get behind the flywheel and loosen the bolts behind the flywheel.

NOTE: As you loosen the bellhousing, it moves outward hanging on the bolts...makes room enough to keep turning the bolts but when it comes loose, the combination of the flywheel and bellhousing is HEAVY...better have a way to hold it up so it doesnt fall...that could hurt seriously...

I have never tried to put one back in by this method...I was disassembling a motor that was mostly junk but wanted some parts off it. If you can figure a good solid way to support that bellhousing with the flywheel in it in the right location to bolt it back on, then getting the bolts started will be do-able...trying to balance the thing and reach in there to start one, impossible to me...

If you go to the following pages, you will have the military maintenance manual pages on the motor:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?...apter3section1

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?...apter3section2

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?...apter3section3
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!