Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Shake

Default Steering Shake

Back in April we fitted a power steering box to my 715. I believe the box came from a mid '70's J10.
    Since then, above speeds of around 40mph, if I hit a bump or rough patch in the road the steering goes into a mad death wobble. If I slow right back down it irons out and I am right until the road gets rough again.
    Speaking to a couple of people, they seem to think it sounds castor related but I never seemed to have these issues before I converted the steering.
    The shackle bushes were replaced about a month before the conversion and I am not running a steering damper.
    I am starting to think that it is most likely the box, as there is a bit of movement in the sector shaft. Problem is, being in Australia I had to import this steering box, (I needed it for left hand drive which is hard to get over here) so I can't just go to the wreckers and buy another one. Plus, this one came from a wrecker and if it is the box I would hate to buy another worn out one, as shipping on something this heavy is a killer.

Any ideas? Just wondering if anyone has had issues like this after a similar conversion?
    I love the power steering off-road and in tight car parks but I am at the point of going back to the original box because the truck is not driveable the way it is.

"Death wobble" typically comes from two sources:
    - Worn steering components that allow play
    - Geometry problems

Given that your truck is not lifted and caster hasn't been affected, I would look for slop in worn components. I would have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you look for play.

If the steering box itself has a lot of play, you there is a setscrew a the top that can be tightened to remove some of the play. If you do this, I suggest doing a search on the proper way of doing it, as too much of an adjustment can damage the box.

Good luck.

If the steering components are tight, the next thing to check is tire balance. When I drove these trucks I had no steering damper on it. When the original tires wore out, the motor pool put recaps on it. It wobbled immediately. I took it back and was told that they didn't balance them. Through the services over midnight Requision" I procured a new set. The wobble was gone. I really think tire balance is the root of the problem and is agrivated by a worn box, worn or loose wheel bearings, worn tie rod ends etc. Steering dampers just mask the problem. Other than shims, I don't think there is a caster adjustment?

Tires and worn steering parts. Mine had it bad with NDT tires. I put on XZL's and all gone. Then I had a flat and ran a XL on the front. Severe death wobble above 30 mph. I fixed my tire and all was good again.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Tires and worn steering parts. Mine had it bad with NDT tires. I put on XZL's and all gone. Then I had a flat and ran a XL on the front. Severe death wobble above 30 mph. I fixed my tire and all was good again.
    Key word ... "Tire".

Besides the tires, I had a truck that had pulsating front disks. At certain speeds, every time I hit the brakes, it would start a death wobble.

If all the things mentioned here check OK, a cheap bandaid can be a steering stabilizer. I would *hate* to give up power steering...

We've already checked the steering the way you mentioned Mikel and there was some movement. I thought there would have to be some way of adjusting it.
    I had the same feelings about the steering damper being a 'band-aid' fix too Don. The wheel bearings were done about the same time as the steering.
    I have been going to take the tyres for a balance, but since I didn't get a constant wobble at high speeds I thought it might be something else. It can't hurt though, for what it costs. Mine still has the NDT's that were on it when I bought it off the FD, I normally get a small wobble the first time I come up to speed after it has been sitting for a while, but I put that down to the bias ply tyres getting a flat spot and getting out of balance that way.
    We put a hydraulic clutch in at the same time as the steering Mikel, The clutch was worn and had no adjustment left, I used to have a lot of trouble when wheeling, - once I got a bit twisted I couldn't get in or out of gear. Totally different truck to drive now, so it would be a shame to lose the power steering. I will look into that adjuster screw.

Thanks for the info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by goodo85 View Post
    We've already checked the steering the way you mentioned Mikel and there was some movement. I thought there would have to be some way of adjusting it.
    I had the same feelings about the steering damper being a 'band-aid' fix too Don. The wheel bearings were done about the same time as the steering.
    I have been going to take the tyres for a balance, but since I didn't get a constant wobble at high speeds I thought it might be something else. It can't hurt though, for what it costs. Mine still has the NDT's that were on it when I bought it off the FD, I normally get a small wobble the first time I come up to speed after it has been sitting for a while, but I put that down to the bias ply tyres getting a flat spot and getting out of balance that way.
    We put a hydraulic clutch in at the same time as the steering Mikel, The clutch was worn and had no adjustment left, I used to have a lot of trouble when wheeling, - once I got a bit twisted I couldn't get in or out of gear. Totally different truck to drive now, so it would be a shame to lose the power steering. I will look into that adjuster screw.

Thanks for the info guys.
    Good on 'ya Mate! Next time I get to Melbourne, if I have time, I should shoot up to NSW and catch up with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Good on 'ya Mate! Next time I get to Melbourne, if I have time, I should shoot up to NSW and catch up with you!
    Yeah that'd be good Don. You're welcome any time.

It was a long time ago, I remember a death wobble discussion 3 boards ago dealing with worn washers on the closed knuckle. Barrman would probably remember better than I, I haven't rebuilt a front axle since 1997.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun