Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: My second M715 build. What was I thinking?

Still more progress today. I started something I wasn't looking forward to. I decided to remove the turbo and manifold to make it easier to install the exhaust gas temperature sensor. It will be only inches from the turbo.

I got the manifold bolted back on the engine but now I need to remove the crossover pipe to get the flange on the correct side of the transmission. It was getting dark so I will need to do that another day.

I got the crossover bolted down today. I then installed the EGT probe and routed the wires into the cab.

I got the boost gauge adapter installed into the intake.

And I got the dash fitted with a couple new gauges.

I still need to connect all the wires and hose. I'm starting to think I may just make this truck straight 12 volt and replace the stock gauges with backlit gauges too.

Hey brother great progress, glad you didn't snap a bolt in the block.

What radiator did you get?
    68' LS TT 6.0 /4L85e /AMG 242

I bought one like this from Ebay.

Today I hooked up the throttle. Thanks George. You used a different cable than I used last time but I was able to make this one work. Here is the inside connection:

And here I ended up making a different bracket in the engine compartment. I will still need to figure out how I will attach the throttle valve cable for the transmission.

I got some hoses connected to the radiator:

I got the intake sealed up and the boost tube connected to the gauge:

And I got the power steering and hydro boost hoses connected:

I am inching forward. I hope to get the transmission lines and oil cooler lines figured out soon.

I will need to revisit the brakes because I didn't have the front brake line installed tight enough in the master cylinder and all the fluid leaked out.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, I found a valve spring today.

Lookin good Paul, nice progress

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

No pictures today. Just some boring stuff done. I got some loose end wiring done. I started cleaning up the glow plug wiring in the engine bay.

I installed the passenger side fender.

I got the turn signal lights mounted in the core support. I made up some H4 wire adapters so I can install some LED headlights.

I filled the power steering pump with fluid. It ended up leaking out all afternoon. I will be replacing that before I start driving it.

I have an idea what I will be doing for oil and transmission lines.

Thanks for the info on the radator, unfortunately no LS swap one :/

I often thought of doing a Detroit swap, but the engines were just so underpowered in the H1, and ..I think I had enough of that Diesel smell for a few life times.

Did you ever think about a BT4?

Great watching your project brother.
    68' LS TT 6.0 /4L85e /AMG 242

Thanks.

The 6.2 isn't a powerhouse that's for sure. But with 5.87 gears it gets the job done quite nicely in the M715 for my purposes. I did consider other engines before choosing the 6.2. I had a small block chevy gas engine in my last M715before I replaced that engine with a 6.2 diesel. The small block was a 305 and I felt it had plenty of power for my uses. It wasn't a powerhouse either but worked well for me. Here is a quick video on my son taking in the back yard shortly after I had it drivable.

I like the 6.2 because it is probably the cheapest option for a diesel and it is very simple to maintain. It basically needs glow plugs and an injection pump and one power wire to run. The I.P. is inexpensive to rebuild and new glow plugs are cheap and available almost everywhere. Here is my son demonstrating the 6.2.

I looked into Perkins, Cummins and Isuzu as options. All of which would also be easy to maintain but none of them were in my budget at the time. I could have afforded to go a different engine route this time but decided to stick with what I knew and was not unhappy with.