Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: My second M715 build. What was I thinking?

A fast google of nv4500 oil finds there is a bit of confusion about how much it takes. Some say factory specs call for a gallon. Some people claim it will hold 5 quarts. I think it is like posting "Knuckle Pudding" here or on the G. Then just sit back and watch people argue.

I put a gallon in mine 5 years ago. My input shaft bearing was making noise then and it still makes the same amount of noise now.

Advance Adaptors uses another brand now than the Castrol stuff I bought from them. Still expensive though.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks for the info. I checked with my local Chevy dealership today and was quoted $32.50/qt. I politely said no thanks.

I took some time off work this week for spring break with my son. It's his last year in high school.

I ended up roofing my pole barn today with my son's help. I'm exhausted. The barn is 24x48. I think I used 48 bundles of shingles. All I can say is I'm not as young as I used to be. But after taking some Ibuprofen I was able to get the NP200 transfer case almost into position. It is off the ground and sitting with one side on the frame and the other side on a jack. After a good nights sleep I'm hoping to get out there and finish installing the case so I can move on to the rest of the "short?" list of finishing details so I can drive this truck again.

I may be overly optimistic but I'd like to be driving it by the weekend so I can take it to the sand dunes with my son. He just bought a used Yamaha Raptor 700 and is excited to take it to the dunes this weekend.

I'm losing optimism fast. At this point I doubt I'll be ready for the weekend. I got the transfer case installed pretty quickly but am not making progress getting the correct u-joint for the NV4500 side of the jack shaft. I also spent way too long searching for the brake/shifter levers for the NP200 transfer case. I finally found them but will need to make a custom bracket to get them bolted down solid somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    Thanks for the info. I checked with my local Chevy dealership today and was quoted $32.50/qt. I politely said no thanks.
    Check Amsoil's website. They have a fluid for NV4500s that is much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    I'm losing optimism fast. At this point I doubt I'll be ready for the weekend. I got the transfer case installed pretty quickly but am not making progress getting the correct u-joint for the NV4500 side of the jack shaft. I also spent way too long searching for the brake/shifter levers for the NP200 transfer case. I finally found them but will need to make a custom bracket to get them bolted down solid somehow.
    Maybe check with some of the driveshaft companies?Jess at HAD or Tom Woods are usually very helpful....I know there are some "adapter" ujoints out there....maybe 1350 at the trans and 1310 at the case?
    Is that real money?

Thanks. I'm getting ready to pull the output yoke off the transmission.

I double checked with the guy I bought the transmission from and he said the transmission was from a 1997 regular cab 3/4 ton with a small block engine. He "thinks" it had a steel drive shaft.

I checked on-line at NAPA and Autozone for the original u-joint that truck would use. Both places say the same thing which is a 1350 joint. I went to O’Reilly and asked for a 331 (which is a 1350 joint for the original truck) and a 348. The 348 is a 1350/1310 combo joint. The joint matches the 331 on one side and also matches 1310 stock joint on the other side.

I was pleased with my find until I got home and tried it. The 331 size caps are the correct size but the joint is too long to fit in the yoke.

At this point I think I'm ready to pull the yoke and bring it to a drive line shop and have them build me a custom jack shaft with the correct yoke on the shaft so I'm not using a crossover joint anyway.

I did end up getting the clutch pedal assembly installed in the cab and I got a new transmission mount fabricated so the transmission is bolted in the truck now. I can move on to the shift levers and clutch linkage anyway.

I dropped the transmission yoke and the stock jack shaft off at the shop today. I asked for a shaft four and three quarters inches center of u joint to center of u joint. I asked for the yoke on one side to match the transmission yoke and the other side to match the stock jack shaft. They will make me a new jack shaft with a new yoke on each end and should be done by lunch tomorrow. They estimated it will be around $100 or less. I am happy to pay it.

So I then moved on to the 4wd linkage. I am not done yet but have a decent start. I have one part of the bracket fabricated and am able to clamp the original bracket to that. The levers are fairly close to stock location so now I just need to triangulate to give it stability/strength and then weld it up.

While I was working on this truck my son decided he would replace some carrier bearings in his quad. He ended up breaking something and can not have the replacement parts in time for the dunes this weekend.

I'm thinking I could be driving my truck by Sunday possibly. If the clutch linkage goes as good as the 4wd linkage appears to be going it should be no problem. I still have tomorrow and Saturday.

I will be looking into the Amsoil tomorrow. If I can't find anything suitable locally I may end up biting the bullet at the dealership. The rental store close by is a dealer for Amsoil so I'm hoping they have and/or can get me some.

I will be looking at the oil (if any) that is in the transmission and if it doesn't look bad I may run it for a few days until I can locate the right stuff to replace it...

I didn't get a picture after welding but here is a picture of the bottom bracket for my shift levers.

The shop called this morning around 9 AM. The new jack shaft was ready to be picked up.

And here it is installed.

I'm working on the clutch now and have a good start on that. I may be able to drive the truck by tomorrow.

Also I found the Amsoil in stock at the rental store so I bought four quarts. I will be changing that tomorrow as well.

Very nice, everything is looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I decided to have another round after dinner this evening. Here is what I had done before dinner.

I think I damaged the power steering line to the hydro boost. That will be the second time I've had to replace an almost new hose due to my own carelessness.

And after dinner I got the master installed. It is a new master for a 1997 Chevy truck.

And what I did in the cab. Sorry for the poor image quality. I am getting lazy and was having trouble seeing.

I got the hose connected and put fluid in the master cylinder. I have pressure but I haven't actually tested it with the engine running yet.

I started trying to install the exhaust crossover but it was getting too dark.