Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: My second M715 build. What was I thinking?

At the risk of sounding like an "Anal Orifice", this is one of the reasons that my truck is 100% stock. It's in the book and all directions are appropriate.

However, I do sincerely hope that you get to the bottom of the problem and the fix is easy and inexpensive, seriously!

I really do respect you guys that have the patients and attention to detail to do the stock restorations. I wouldn't mind having a stock truck but am also happy with a modified truck.

I've decided I am putting a manual transmission in the truck. Since I don't have much budget left I am using what I have on hand. I did score a cast iron bell housing today. I will need to modify it a bit to make it work but the price was right.

So what I have on hand is a 2wd SM465. I'll run it through the stock NP200 case. I'll probably need a custom jack shaft and probably a custom transmission mount. I'm hoping I can modify the mount I made for the 700R4 to make it work with the 465.

Maybe I'll get this truck back on the road again this year?

I think I have seen some NV4500's on Pirate 4x4 lately...
    Is that real money?

Check http://www.car-part.com

2WD Chevy NV4500s can be quite affordable if you keep your eyes open.

Can I bolt a NV4500 to the same bell housing I use for my SM465? And how about the clutch disk? Will it interchange?

Not sure, but I can take some measurements for you....Is the diesel bell typical SBC bolt pattern? Mine came behind an LQ4 which I think is a little different...
    Is that real money?

Quote Originally Posted by ray steadward View Post
    Not sure, but I can take some measurements for you....Is the diesel bell typical SBC bolt pattern? Mine came behind an LQ4 which I think is a little different...
    Yes same bolt pattern on that end. I was curious about the transmission side if the bolt pattern and transmission input shaft are the same?

There are a few small differences-bolt holes are different for transmission to bell-housing, some have successfully drilled new holes and tapped new holes in the nv4500 case-i bookmarked a site with info on that; I'll see if I can find that, -beyond that everything else will work, input shaft is the same.

Are you doing mechanical clutch or hydraulic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. That was my concern. I may be wrong but I didn't think the NV4500 was ever offered by Chevy on a passenger drop front axle vehicle. That leaves very little clearance between the bell housing and the front drive shaft I think.

I'm planning on doing a hydraulic clutch. I made a bracket for my last truck that made the hydraulic setup simple to install and there was virtually no worry about the mechanical linkage binding during any flexing that may occur off road.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    Thanks for that. That was my concern. I may be wrong but I didn't think the NV4500 was ever offered by Chevy on a passenger drop front axle vehicle. That leaves very little clearance between the bell housing and the front drive shaft I think.

I'm planning on doing a hydraulic clutch. I made a bracket for my last truck that made the hydraulic setup simple to install and there was virtually no worry about the mechanical linkage binding during any flexing that may occur off road.
    I have a truck with a NV4500 (with Dodge CTD bellhousing), with a Chevy D60 front. No clearance issues.