Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: My second M715 build. What was I thinking?

Yesterday I got a rear drive shaft installed. It probably isn't permanent though. I ended up learning after a couple unsuccessful attempts at finding the correct u-joint that GM used a Saginaw joint. Other manufacturers use Spicer joints. They are not the same. What I ended up with is a 3-3130 joint that converts the Saginaw R3 to Spicer 1310. I then was able to install the stock M715 drive shaft. This leaves me with two slip joints on the same drive shaft. It looks silly. I haven't tried it at speed yet but I assume it will work fine.

After spending too much time working on other things I'm trying to button up a few more details on the truck this weekend.

I'm planning on installing a CJ7 brake light switch. I've already started and hope to remember to get some pictures before I get too far along on that.

I've also got a few leaks that need to be stopped.

I was pretty sure I was taking my time to get everything tight as I went but I seem to have a major transmission line leak. I haven't looked yet but I'm guessing by the puddles I'm leaving that the leak is at the connection point on the transmission.

I also have a leak of engine oil that appears to be a small drip at the connection of the line to the engine block.

And lastly I seem to be seeping antifreeze from the rear crossover port on the head. That should be the easiest to fix so I will probably start with that.

I got the new brake light switch installed. I'm hoping I'll have enough time to wire it in this weekend.

I didn't actually get the new brake light switch wired this weekend. Life keeps happening and I didn't have a lot of time this weekend after all.

I did attempt to get the coolant leak taken care of. It seems to be gone but I haven't run it long enough to be sure. While I was at it I noticed I had never installed the TV bracket and cable for the 700R4 so I got that installed and adjusted. I also installed a new transmission dip stick tube. The original got kinked somewhere along the line and I couldn't pull the dip stick out of it after that.

I don't have any rear lights now. I'm not sure when they quit working. I think as long as I need to open them up I may as well replace the lamps with LED. I'm hoping to stop after work and look for some. I count 7 total 1251 lamps in all the rear sockets. Not sure I'll do them all at once. I may not do the blackout lamps.

I got the brake light switch wired a few days ago but still didn't have brake lights. I downloaded the schematic from the link at the top of the page and proceeded to start testing everything.

I noticed that the blinker switch wasn't allowing voltage through on all the terminals so I took that apart and cleaned all the contacts inside. This allowed all the signal lights to light from the blinker switch but my brake lights still didn't work.
    I tested the 3 lever switch with an ohm meter and had continuity where I thought I should but still had no brake lights. I ended up putting in another 3 lever switch and now I have brake lights. I am in the process of taking the old switch apart to check things out inside it.

The solid state blinker module is dead but I will replace that with a standard blinker like on my first truck. I can't see spending that much for a blinker module when it's so easy to convert.

So I'm inching towards getting the truck road ready. I still need to install a fan behind the radiator and I still need an exhaust. There are other minor details too but those are the major ones.

I'm sure I'm a bit ahead of myself but I ended up putting insurance on the truck and getting a plate on it today. I'm legal to drive on the road.

I haven't taken it out yet and am expecting to get an opportunity tomorrow. I still need the cooling fan and exhaust installed though. But it's going to get tested out on the road as-is.

Steady progress.

Congrats on the tags and insurance!

Are you going to put a torque converter lockup kit on that 700r4?

Good progress Paul
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

I'm not looking to do a lockup kit at this point. Maybe after I drive it for a while I'll change my mind.

My test drive was pretty short. I had a pretty big fuel leak on top of the engine. I had a loose hose clamp on the line feeding the IP. I ended up pulling the intake off completely to get that repaired. That's when I remembered I haven't installed a fuel filter yet. I will be putting a filter by the tank before I put any more miles on the truck.

I will also be getting the exhaust installed before long. It is too loud for my liking. My son thinks it sounds good though.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    I'm not looking to do a lockup kit at this point. Maybe after I drive it for a while I'll change my mind.
    Understand that, first things first. I drove mine a few months without the switch working... I thought it was defective or I wired it up wrong and was too busy working other kinks out to mess with it. Turned out to just be a bad ground. It works great. Definitely makes a difference, I've got it set to kick in at about 38 MPH.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Twice the price of other switch kits but I didn't have to open the trans up and can move it to another transmission.