Thread: Air gun pressure

Default Air gun pressure

Ok guys I have a question about painting my M715. I have a HVLP paint gun. So how much pressure do I need going from the Air Compressor to the paint gun and how much do I to adjust the paint gun pressure?

Thanks

Carmen

I was curious so i looked it up.
    I figured it depended on what product you were spraying...
    Say a clear coat versus military paint, would require more fine tuning.

check out this page... its the basics.
    Sounds like you need to read what the gun itself requires at the tip, and the size of the tip.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/hv...gun_basics.htm

Some more:

The test
    To find the optimum air pressure, begin by opening all the controls on the gun to their maximum and turning the air pressure at the regulator down to well below where you think it should be — for example, to 20 psi. (Regulators are attached to smaller compressors and are mounted on the wall with larger compressors that use piping to one or more locations.)

Then spray a short burst onto brown paper or cardboard. (The finish shows up better on a brown surface than on white paper.) You’ll get a relatively narrow width pattern with noticeably large dots around the edges.

Increase the air pressure by 5 or 10 psi and spray another burst. The pattern will be a little wider and the dots a little smaller.

Continue increasing the air pressure in increments of 5 or 10 psi and spraying short bursts. Each time you increase the pressure, the pattern will get wider and the dots at the edges of the pattern will get smaller.

It’s important to hold the gun at the same distance from the target for each burst. The easy way to do this is to open your hand fully, placing the tip of your little finger against the target and the tip of your thumb against the air cap on the gun. Then spray each burst at this distance, which is about 8 inches.

When you reach a pressure that doesn’t widen the pattern from the previous and doesn’t make the dots smaller, you’ve gone too far. You have achieved the best atomization, but you’re now wasting material because more than necessary is bouncing off the target.

So reduce the air pressure to the previous setting or maybe a little further, to just before the pattern starts shrinking and the dots start becoming larger.

This is the optimum setting for the viscosity of the material you are spraying in the current weather conditions. As Jerry Hund, the former education director at Binks, used to say, “When the pattern is right, the pressure is right.”

http://www.woodshopnews.com/columns-...-is-quick-easy
    Last edited by Blitz; August 26th, 2014 at 10:14 PM.
    hostis est intra portas tuas

When I shot my M715 using galesspi paint i shot it unthinned and use several thin coats waiting a hour between coats. same with primer. seems to me my hvlp binks gun needed 30 psi but can remember exactly.
    morgan