Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: belt pulley alignment problems (w/ pictures) - HELP!!!!

I can't figure out Dave, why your belts are spaced at the generator pulley and pump pulley, but in the middle they are almost touching. It almost appears as if their's some slack in them. It seems as though we all have a slight issue with out belt system. I have all three belts on, it just that the front two are at a very slight angle. Never have had a problem with them.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Is their such a thing as a pulley being pressed on to far? I thought you put them on until they seat properly.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Is their such a thing as a pulley being pressed on to far? I thought you put them on until they seat properly.
    Whilst I have not ever pressed on of off the pulley of the water pump, I believe that it doesn't have a "stop". So, it must be pressed to the correct location on the shaft. Of course, I could be totally wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    I can't figure out Dave, why your belts are spaced at the generator pulley and pump pulley, but in the middle they are almost touching. It almost appears as if their's some slack in them. It seems as though we all have a slight issue with out belt system. I have all three belts on, it just that the front two are at a very slight angle. Never have had a problem with them.
    Looking at my truck, I can see that there is different spacing on the alternator/generator pulley and also on the water pump pulley. As for the one belt being so close, I would ask if the three belts are a matched set? I have NOS belts from the military and they have a tag attached to them (all three are tied together) and the tag specifies that the belts are matched and should not be separated. Maybe that center belt is a little longer than the other two?

Water pump pulley is not pressed on too far. the "Vee grooves" align perfectly with the main crank pulley. Here is a highlighted picture to show where the problem area is. The belts are in fact mis-matched currently so the middle one isn't correctly tensioned. No sense putting the correct set on and tensioning to specs if the pulley is AFU.

As about the alternator, it's a 28 Volt 60 Amp Leece Neville, internally regulated. I can post a picture of the name plate tonight.

Dave-
    Last edited by David Zelinski; July 14th, 2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added more info.
    Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

quick pictures of my alternator. These photos aren't mine. I found them online but it is the exact same one I have. It's big and it's heavy. A big PITA to install.

Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

looks like theres a spacer behing the pulley.if so remove it . if its attached to the pulley machine it off. this will let the alt. pulley go back farther hence align the belts. jmo
    morgan

Quote Originally Posted by md1970 View Post
    looks like theres a spacer behing the pulley.if so remove it . if its attached to the pulley machine it off. this will let the alt. pulley go back farther hence align the belts. jmo
    morgan
    Initially the issue is the belt spacing on the gene pulley, once that is addressed with the type in Dons photo, then actual alignment of all the belt groves can be addressed.

Default Spacing

As Don said, the belt spacing on the pulleys is different. The pulley on the alternator in question at the start of this thread is wrong for the M-715. No amount of "spacing" will fix the problem. You need the proper alternator pulley as shown below. This pix is from a bad alternator I have and a pix of my belts and spacing as installed.

SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Here is one for sale, complete. A bit pricey perhaps? But, same pulley you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era