Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter for a chevy 350 12v vs 24v

Default Starter for a chevy 350 12v vs 24v

I bought my truck and the engine runs great but I failed to realize that the previous owner was using a 12v starter without converting it so its completely fried. Can someone please point me to how to either wire up the 12v (with parts) or a 24v bolt on starter? Thank you.

Are you sure the 350 has a 12 volt starter and ignition? Very few conversions to a v8 include staying all 24 volts is why I ask.

24 volt versions of just about every starter ever used on a SBC are available online and for sure at NAPA. What exact style and model starter do you have now?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Are you sure the 350 has a 12 volt starter and ignition? Very few conversions to a v8 include staying all 24 volts is why I ask.

24 volt versions of just about every starter ever used on a SBC are available online and for sure at NAPA. What exact style and model starter do you have now?
    I just called and spoke with my local napa store and they stated they do not have anything 24v. Can you please provide me with the correct part number so I can call back?

Here are a few expensive ones I found with a fast search:

http://www.smileysracing.com/shopping/?ic=2398

Novak has this to say about it:

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/m715_swap.htm

What tooth flywheel do you have now? That determines which style of starter nose cone you have which will determine which starter you can go with. If you have the nose cone with the starter bolts staggered. You should be able to use a CUCV 24 volt 6.2 diesel starter.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Is the voltage that important to a starter motor? Kind of a different situation, but a friend of mine had a 55 Ford pickup that was originally a 6 volt system. he converted everything over to 12 volts except the starter and never had a problem. I do know that with increased voltage, you decrease resistance.(ohms law stuff) If your not holding on to the switch for extended times, I would think a 12 volt starter would live with 24 volts.

Quote Originally Posted by racerx12005r1 View Post
    Is the voltage that important to a starter motor? Kind of a different situation, but a friend of mine had a 55 Ford pickup that was originally a 6 volt system. he converted everything over to 12 volts except the starter and never had a problem. I do know that with increased voltage, you decrease resistance.(ohms law stuff) If your not holding on to the switch for extended times, I would think a 12 volt starter would live with 24 volts.

I'm not sure. I just threw in a 12v starter from my local auto parts store so it wasnt stranded in a parking lot. I hope someone else can chime in on how long it will last. I am going to look into getting a 6.2 cucv starter. I do have the offset but I am not sure how many teeth my flywheel is. Is there an easy way to tell without counting (Ill lose count for sure)

The SBC had basically two sizes for flywheels and flex plates. Big and small. The small one used a starter with the bolts in line straight out from the block. The big flywheel had the bolts offset. It sounds like you have the larger tooth count flywheel.

I know of two or three SBC converted M715 trucks that still have 12 volt starters in them with the rest of the truck 24 volts. If you got a good one and crank no more than 10 seconds every minute or two, it should last you a very long time. Under volt is what really kills starter motors. That and heat. Keep the thing working in short burst and it will last you a good while.

However, the solenoid might be a different story. Many of us with CUCV trucks and the 24 volt starter have had issues with new 24 volt solenoids sticking on and burning everything up. Buy American or cross your fingers everytime you hit the switch seems to be the choices.

Chevy 292 here with a 12 volt starter, running 24 volts to it.
    It came that way when I got the truck.
    I think the starter has been in there since 2010 or even earlier.

It just turns fast... and the truck starts...
    I dont think you want to crank on it for minutes at a time... But thats with any starter.

I have never had any problem with it at all, except when I dont switch on the fuel pump... DOH !

I have an extra solenoid for it on hand and a spare starter as well... just in case.. but..

I dont anticipate any problems, and there dont seem to have been any with the Previous Owner either...

To be honest, the "spare" starter and solenoid I have for the truck is Better and newer than the one in there now...
    But its not worth changing it out if there have been no problems...

I kinda like the Diesel 6.2 starter option...
    I may look into that when things calm a bit.

I would run it until it died... forget about the 15 dollar core charge...

I purposely didn't mention your truck Blitz. Even though I know it had a 12 volt starter since 2006. I couldn't remember if you had changed it over or not.

Wow.. 2006 ?
    Thats better than i thought...
    I have a feeling You helped, Barrman .

Its the same starter... The paper tag is still on it, but unreadable.

i cranked it over the other day for a buddy...
    he thought I didnt have any spark plugs in it, it turns over soo quick...

whirrr whirrr....and it starts... when i turn on the fuel pump...

Kinda like leaving the e brake on...lol