Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor starter switch

Default Floor starter switch

Can the floor starter switch be removed and cleaned up (as far as contact points go), or is it best to replace it with a new one? I'm starting to think maybe mine is showing signs of poor contact. What would be the signs of a floor switch needing to be replaced?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Mine shorted out the starter shortly after I put the new engine in lucky for me I had another starter and I put in a generic one from tractor supply it started hissing really bad the other day when I pushed it and started smoking.... Time to look into a replacement and not a POS this time. I'm not sure if there is a way to fix the old one but I'd like to know as well might save some cash.
    Chris

My thoughts are when the starter button is pressed down, it turns the starter motor for a brief amount of time, and then the starter button heats up due to maybe poor contact and it doesn't allow full current through it to turn the starter. Am I over thinking this?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

switches can go bad, the way to test it is to do it under the same conidtions that it fails under. You can test it for continuity, but it may pass everytime and then fail under use. If you have another switch just replace it and see.

If you can open it the contacts can be cleaned with a file depending on how much of them is left. That may only buy you time though.

I took mine out last night and I didn't see a way to open it up other then breaking it open so having a temp fix doesn't seem like an option. However it wasn't my military starter switch that went bad it was the one that was from tractor supply, I was mistaken. I had replaced the one I got with the truck because it's kinda a pita to push down. Potts if yours isn't working I would look online for one of the military switches and not the generic ones. I'll be looking here soon myself just to have a back up.
    Chris

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the tractor switches. They don't appear to be well built. I'm sure their must be some original NOS switches out there. I'm sure we'll have to pay the price, but what's the alternative? Thanks again.

I composed a very lengthy response to this thread a couple of days ago and it doesn't show up so I must have forgotten to hit the "Send" button, sorry. Anyway, essentially what I said was that I think VPW had NOS starter buttons for $89. What I have is one that I got from, I think, AB Linn. So far, it has been OK but I have not had much chance to drive the truck lately.

Ouch $89 for a switch is crazy money, but again buying the cheapo one from TSC Which was less then $20 worked for about 2 months max but I was driving it around everyday and probably wasn't as easy on it as I should have been. I think if I had to have a switch I would get a TSC one till I could get a proper replacement. Or if you can wait for the right one do so.
    Chris

Thanks for all the help!

The tractor supply switches are crap, I put one in my gpw and it would direct short when I tried to start it, NAPA ones are crap also, same problem. If you like that style of switch look for a Cole Hersee dealer, theres are top quality. The oe one was not made to be serviced. I purchased a NOS switch from Midwest Military for my truck 6 years ago for $45, thay may have gone up since then but worth a phone call if you want the OE style.

FWIW, Lee