Thread: Ignorant question about diesel start-up.

Default Ignorant question about diesel start-up.

I recently purchased my first diesel truck, a '06 chevy with a 6.6l and allison transmission.

We had our first hard frost today and it got me pondering the block heater and my own ignorance about cold-starting a diesel.

At what point should I start using the block heater (if at all)? Slightly freezing weather? Only if it's going to be in the single digits? Not unless it cold enough to freeze the barn-cats solid? We tend to hover around 30 degrees all winter but cold snaps sometimes bring it down to -5 or so. I'd rather only plug it in if it's actually needed as I can see myself forgetting in my morning stupor and trying to drive off with it still plugged in

Also, how much idle warm-up before I take off? Is taking the engine up to something like 80 enough or should I let it get well into the hundred fifty range to best baby it and help the engine's longevity? (digital chip gives me an accurate temp rather than trying to interpret the dash gauge)

As you can see, I is one ig-nor-ant cuss on the subject and would rather get real-world opinions than just going to the manual for it's generic advice.

::dunce-cap at the ready if so advised::

If the engine still easily starts in the cold u don't need it. However using it does make it easier on the engine, warm starts are always better then cold. If it's get to where it's hard to start in cold, the heater will make it easier to start.

Another side of the block heater is personal comfort. Your cab heater will get u warm much quicker then with a cold block.

Idle warm up, with the heater, just a few seconds to get oil pressure and circulation. Cold block, I wouldn't go to long, I think it's kind of pointless, in cold weather some diesels take a while to warm up, besides you should be using a winter grade oil that is still lubricating when cold.

Or leave 5 min early on cold days and just kind of take it easy for a few minutes, kind of like warming it up while u drive. Of course depends on where u live if you can do that.

Be sure your block cord is tywraped to something inside the grill, and the extension cord is tied off, if you forget they will pull apart.

Other option is to loop the extension cord over the driver mirror and across the door if possible.

Or hang a "remove before flight" tag on the door handle. ALWAYS, hang the flag before plugging in and unplug before removing flag. Have that rule and you won't get side tract and forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

You could also put the heater on a timer if you are worried about electrical consumption. If you don't drive the truck everyday, only plug in on days before you drive it.

I think Maskale summed it up fairly well.

I would say we have some cold weather here in Michigan but not as bad as some other states.

I have had my 02 Duramax since it was new. I never plugged it in for the first six or so years. It never started hard or ever felt like it needed it. I also have never used the vinyl (or naugahyde as some call it) cover over the grille.

A few years ago my wife started driving my truck to work because she doesn't like driving in the snow without 4x4. That was fine by me because I drive a company owned truck for work and "can't" drive my personal truck for work. Anyway once she started driving it I started plugging it in at night in the winter. It sits outside because it doesn't fit so well in the garage.

What I noticed (from what my wife told me) was the engine was warmed up significantly sooner when plugged in. The engine made less noise at start up too which I am assuming is because the oil can get to the vital parts sooner since it wasn't as cold and thick.

I can't tell you how it affects my electric bill though because my electric bill is always higher in the winter. It's common for me to have a $250/mo. electric bill in the winter months here. The block heater is just another drip from my leaky bucket so to speak. A small price to pay for the comfort of my family and the wear and tear my diesel isn't subjected to on cold mornings.

Oh and my wife has many times driven off without unplugging the cord. So far no damage from that.

I helped somebody with a 2004 Duramax change his fuel filter base a few weeks ago. He bought the truck new. I noticed the heater cord and asked how it worked? He didn't even know it was there. He sold the vinyl grill guard soon after he got the truck too.

We get to the teens a time or two each winter and normally a few days in a row with it never getting above 40˚. He never had a problem. I would follow the advice other have given in this thread already.

One side note. I don't own a computer controlled engine, but I think this will apply anyway. On the all mechanical 6.2 which gets its glow plug on/off signal from the coolant just like the computer controlled trucks. People have run into issues with the block heaters. They plug in the truck, let the coolant get above 120˚ and then the glow plugs don't come on because they think the engine is warm. The truck then won't start because the cold air can't light off.

I know there is an intake heater grid instead of glow plugs, but the idea is the same. If you use the block heater in too warm of weather, you might make it harder to start. Your oil, crank and cam will be happy, but you won't be. You might need to play with it some to figure out what works best for you.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by maskale View Post
    You could also put the heater on a timer if you are worried about electrical consumption. If you don't drive the truck everyday, only plug in on days before you drive it.

That's exactly what I was thinking! And if you do, make sure the timer is up to the challenge. I suspect a block heater does consume quite a few watts.

I appreciate all the information. I was just concerned that I might be doing some start-up engine damage that could be easily avoided if I heated it when it actually needed heating.

I dug a little deeper--this engine has been "chipped" so I have an aftermarket display which can give all sorts of useless and (rarely) useful readings of just about every aspect of what the computer is doing. The system has an automatic backdown when cold so that you can't push a cold engine too hard. It seems to cut power down to about 1/2 until the engine temp reaches 135 and doesn't give full power until 155.

Fortunately, my rural location means I have a couple of miles of empty road to putter along on at 25 until I reach the actual highway, by which time the temps are up.

Thanks again for the help. As soon as the cold hits, I'll have a better idea of whether it becomes harder to start cold and I need the heater just for that issue.

All this talk of the upcoming cold weather (winter)........YUCK!!!
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Default Our Tractors

Love the heaters on our diesel tractors and the JD Gator. Nice and toasty right away in the cab and for me, its worth the power usage. No problems starting even without the heaters as the glow plugs always do a good job.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era