Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump rebuild

Default Fuel pump rebuild

Any archives on rebuilding 230 fuel pump? Pump came apart easily but now I am at a loss. How do you get the valves out and new ones pressed in? This is the dual style pump, vacuum on top, fuel on bottom diaphrams.

Default Watching this thread

Quote Originally Posted by bhanka View Post
    Any archives on rebuilding 230 fuel pump? Pump came apart easily but now I am at a loss. How do you get the valves out and new ones pressed in? This is the dual style pump, vacuum on top, fuel on bottom diaphrams.
    Did you receive any advice? Curious myself.

I have rebuilt a couple of them and as best as I can recall, I just used the exploded diagram
    I found in a manual. I hate to sound like the broken record but up at the top are the manual references you can download and use.
    As for the valves, I remember using a punch to drive them out and I think I used a small socket to tap them back in with, or maybe I used a small clamp like a press and did it. Cant remember. I do remember needing a third hand a couple of times during re-assembly. Thankfully my wife is pretty adept at helping me with stuff like that.
    If you get in a real bind, you can always send it off to Then and Now and they can do it for a fee. Good luck.

Thanks for the replys. I ended up sending it to Terrill Machine Co. in Deleon, Texas. They completely rebuilt with modern components for $115.00 and 1 year warranty. Figured best to let them do it before I damaged something. Turned it around in two weeks. Just got it back today. Looks new. Will update you on how it works.

Default Thanks bhanka

Thanks for the heads up on Terrill Machine in De Leon, TX. I talked to them today and sent them 3 fuel pumps that need rebuilding. Can't wait till I get it running again. They say a 2 week turn around, so I have dropped the fuel tank, cleaning it out, checking the fuel sending unit and replacing the large rubber fuel filler. This M715 is going to make a great surf truck here in Carolina Beach!

Did you compare prices with Then and Now for rebuilding? I am curious if they are any cheaper. I forget now but it's somewhere around 100.00 or so from T/N.

I recall that T&N was slightly higher on price and further away from me so more shipping costs.

Prices at T&N are going up. The cost of materials are on the rise.

http://www.maritimedragracing.com/th...automotive.htm

here is a great story (with pictures) about the shop:

http://bangshift.com/blog/Incredible...utomotive.html
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Default Update

Installed rebuilt fuel pump. Looks great. Fired right up and took for drive. Sure enough about the same time and location of my drive I am running out of fuel again (reason for rebuilt pump). Loose power, let up on gas for 5-10 seconds, and then engine takes off again. I guess it is on to dropping the tank and checking pickup tube and sock. Only good out of this is it has been too hot in Texas to enjoy driving ++103 F.

That doesn't sound good. My rebuilt pump is on it's way to me Monday. I dropped the tank and everything looked good including the pick up line. I cleaned the inside of the tank with mineral spirits and then rubbing alcohol. I repainted the tank and straps and replaced the sending unit. I will install the tank this weekend. I sure hope that the rebuilt pump is the solution.