Thread: 6.5 Diesel. Proper clutch kit

Default 6.5 Diesel. Proper clutch kit

My 6.5 is adapted with a Novak adapter to the T98. I'm hoping to get any info on which clutch guys have used. I have a clutch kit laying around for an 85 6.2 1/2 ton but the TO bearing is wayy too short. I would need to use a 1.750 length bearing to have a 1/8 space between the bearing and fingers. I'll look to see if a 95 6.5 diesel clutch is different. I'm hyper paranoid about getting the clutch and bearing right. I have little experience with clutch modifications.

Thank you
    Mike

Sorry if I seem a little dense but what do you mean the bearing is too short?

I am using a standard 10 spline chevy 12 inch clutch. I don't know what the pressure plate brand name is but it was on my small clock chevy 305 before it was put on my 6.2 diesel. It bolted up just fine.

I am using a cast iron bell housing that I had to modify to fit my starter nose in. My bell housing was originally the type the starter bolted to. I got the clutch fork with the bell housing. It is cast iron also.

Is it possible you don't have the correct clutch fork for your bell housing?

With the clutch engaged (foot off pedal) and the T.O. bearing slid all the way back against the trans shoulder Im assuming there should be a 1/16-1/8" gap left between the clutch fingers and the bearing face. I have approx an inch. This is my problem/confusion. My lack of clutch experience has me paranoid and I'm not sure Im seeing things correctly. There isnt enough adjustment on the slave rod. Should the bearing sit against the trans bearing retainer when you let off the pedal?? I know some vehicles use a fork stop.

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

When you push the clutch pedal in does the clutch disengage?

ok then...looks like I'll look at hydraulic throwout bearings. I know there are many people out there that have done this engine/adapter/trans combo. I just need to find one