Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first M715 - pics

Default My first M715 - pics

Here it is!! Inside is stock green. First order of business is new OD paint. Then ill drive it as i decide on and locate a modern drivetrain and axles. Would it sacrilege to put a 3/4 or 1/2 ton axles and springs to acheave a nice ride? Like would the zone police show up at my house? Tell me what you can see about this truck. And no I did not give the $4000 printed on the window.

[QUOTE=agrust;227532]Here it is!! Inside is stock green. First order of business is new OD paint. Then ill drive it as i decide on and locate a modern drivetrain and axles. Would it sacrilege to put a 3/4 or 1/2 ton axles and springs to acheave a nice ride? Like would the zone police show up at my house? Tell me what you can see about this truck. And no I did not give the $4000 printed on the window.

I have regreted sporterizing a few nice military rifles that I should have left alone. I should have just bought a good Remington. Altering a good MV is the same thing to me. I would rather preserve history.
    Good luck in with what ever you decide.

Englishmauser,

I can fully understand that sentiment!

However, we are opening a gun shop and will be using this truck for promotional stuff. I need it road worthy to go a few hours away every month or so for gun shows. It will bear our logo and will be an attention getter. For the drivability and reliability I have in mind to replace drivetrain, go to 38" radial tires power breaks and steering. In my mind it is like that mauser that has already had it's stock shortened and refinished an perhaps has been drilled and tapped. Yeah it could be restored but it will always be one that has been messed with already. For restoration I'd rather find one complete and in its original condition. Then just paint the thing and park it... Again I understand your sentiment!

Aaron

Hey welcome to the Zone! Looks like a pretty good truck! Yea, I'm one of the stock type people too but it's your truck and you have to do what you need. Sounds like it would be easier for you to get a modern truck and find M715 body parts and adapt them. Anyway, best wishes to ya!!
    Thanks for all the help!

Maybe I'll paint it and drive it as it is for what it is!

If I put say hummer tires with custom made wheels at 38" will the truck handle them as it is? I would do power steering if it can be adapted to a tornado at the least.

Aaron

Welcome to the Zone, dont worry to much, no one here is going to judge you on what you decide to do, the guys here are great. For ideas just check out the Modified forum and you'll find the guys here are not hardcore, diehard MV owners.

Dont be afraid to ask questions, someone here usually has an answer, and if not we can fake it pretty good. Good luck and we like pictures so keep'em coming.
    Blessed be the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Got the beast home and its awesome! It ran rough until it warmed up. Then it ran like a top!

First thing is to get the fire engine stuff off, then repaint it back to green. Then I think I'll do custom wheels and hummer tires and stop there for a while. I'll keep the old rims so I can return it to stock.

Congrats on the drive!! Glad it smoothed out for you! I wonder when the last time it had a good run?
    Thanks for all the help!

Bigdog is correct, it's your truck to do whatever you want with it. As for military weapons, I'm a collector of militaria and have 187 military rifles and handguns from WWl through Vietnam. They are all original and I would never think of modifying them in even the smallest way. My opinion is to leave history alone. They all have a story behind them. Every rifle has the proper bayonet and sling that go on the rifle. Ammo and cleaning kits also.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Having a very similar fire department truck in the same color, I've begun to ponder the issue of restoring it to original vs making a beast also.

This thing spent most of it's life as a fire truck, NOT a military truck so in terms of restoring, maybe that is the way to go--instead of fighting with what the fire guys did to it, why not embrace that and enhance THAT instead? I've pretty much decided to go that way myself because the fire look is just as spiffy and maybe even spiffier than the military look--and who wouldn't love to hang on to that ride-on bumper while offroading? (no danger, is there? )

I got rid of the fire pack in the back of mine and now wish I hadn't. Happy it's out of the back but wish I had it in storage so that I'd have the option to return it. You may want to sit on it for a while before you dispose of it (if that is your plan)

Oh..and the fire pack probably has a bell fitting on the bottom for a drain that passed through a hole cut in the bed. THis makes removal a little more fiddly as you can't simply slide it off.