Thread: Anyone have a set of R&L 7/8-18 taps

Default Anyone have a set of R&L 7/8-18 taps

I am looking to borrow a set of R&L thread 7/8-18 taps to clean the thread on a drag link and tie rod. I can get them on ebay for $100.00, but am hoping to borrow a set. I will pay shipping both ways and turn tap them right away, and send it right back out
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

I can probably help with the right hand. Give me a few days ill let ya know.

Is this for the ruff stuff kit you bought?

If you are just cleaning threads you can make a cleaning tap out of an old TRE for the Left hand.

I recently bought a set from E-taps for a similar project.

http://www.e-taps.com/ofertapage%20028.html

Might be worth the investment instead of shipping back and forth. Good luck.
    1967 M715 w/wn
    1968 M715 w WVT993 maint bed
    1969 M725

Thanks maskale and cornholio.

Maskale, I may have a line on a set of loner taps from a guy on pirate4x4. If that falls through, I'll borrow yours, and buy the one cornholio linked to for the left tap.

I just bought 7/8-18 tube inserts off of eBay, Dom tubing, and the GM ends from Rock Auto. I rosette welded the ends with my mig, and had a friend tig the rest of the inserts. They shrunk a bit from the HAZ and the ends are now tight. I just want to re-tap so that they don't bind up over time
    Thanks, George

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...s-tapping.html

Quote Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
    I've welded probably 20+ bungs into tube, and have never had a failure/thread deformation. First, I tack weld the bung in 4 places. Then I take an old joint, smear the threads with hi-temp anti seize, and thread it in so all of the threads in the bung are occupied. Then I weld one 90* section of the bung (between 2 tack welds), flip it over and do the other side. I then take a screw driver and thread the joint in and out for a minute or two to be sure that the threads aren't deforming. Once it has cooled down a little, I do the other two sides. I follow up with some more threading in/out of the joint.

Not saying it's the right/best way....but it's worked on my rig for 4 years, and my friend's for 3.
    A guy in that thread also suggests that you watch out for hardened spots in the threads that can screw up taps.

Did your parts come out significantly cheaper than RuffStuff's kit? That's what I was planning.

Thanks for the info, I'll give that a shot next time.

How much is the ruff stuff kit? I have about $90.00 into the tie rod and drag link materials, plus the GM ends. Maybe $60-80 there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, George

Ok, I'm into it for $150-170, plus the head ache of having to tap. So $260 plus $20 shipping isn't too bad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, George