Thread: Looking to buy

Default Looking to buy

Hey guys. Just wanting some input. Looking to buy an original engine/tranny/tcase combo and was wondering about a value on this type of combo. I know the engines are not running much but have no idea on the tranny/tcase. Thanks for the input! Might finally be able to get the beast running again!

A couple of years ago people were giving them away just to clear out the clutter from their shop. Occasionally they still pop up here on the zone. And it looks like a couple of folks have parted-out their trucks on e-pay and want a fortune for it. One guy I saw wants 750 for a transmission. Hopefully some new crop of "modders" will decide to divest themselves of the heavy, always in the way door stops.

Just don't get in too big of a hurry and pay through the nose for one on e-pay, it'll artificially inflate the costs everywhere.

I'm waiting for another full drivetrain to come available myself. (I know SOME people on here have FOUR or FIVE just laying around hint, hint)

Search this site, I thought I just saw a post about selling exactly what you're looking for. I may be mistaken but it's worth a look. Good luck.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

i have exactly what you are wanting & if you want to come pull it all out, you can have the hole shooting match for 750.00. good running truck

I recently decided to swap to a more modern drive train and will be selling off engine t-case and transmission. I don't know the condition of the trans or t-case because I have never had it fully operational. I know the engine is in rebuild-able shape, but still rough and the exhaust manifold is also junk. I even had it running a few weeks ago, but it was rough and seemed to have a miss. Also can include the NOS fuel pump that I just installed, and nos carb rebuild kit! Not looking to make a fortune, but would like to get a little funds for the project. PM me and we can go from there. Also have access to a forklift so it could be all put on pallets and shipped fairly easily.

The guy thats selling it is relatively close to me and was wondering a price. I'm thinking 500 for the lot. You guys think that's too low? I just thought that since parts for them are hard to come by and I'll eventually do a better swap later no point in paying out the nose.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

As close to free as possible, especially if you can't hear it run. If you can hear it run, let it run until its up to temp and make sure it has no strange noises and oil pressure.

I'd say that $500 is probably about the max for the whole setup, and then you'll still probably need to do valve seals, a water pump, rear main seal, the oil line on the back of the head, a few gaskets here and there, and possibly more. The transfer case will also need new seals and maybe a reline of the brake band. Transmissions usually don't need much.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™