Thread: Why build a 715? My personal reason

Default Why build a 715? My personal reason

It's late and I should be in bed. I just cleaned up in the garage for the night. I was thinking. People always ask me why I'm dumping money into rebuilding an old military war beast truck. As I was sweeping up the garage floor, I answered that question in my head. When I was about 10 or so, my father said it would be fun to restore an old military vehicle and go cruising around. Well, we never got around to doing such thing. Fast forward to 2013- Dad is going in for his 3rd round of Chemo and Radiation treatment to combat cancer (but he doesn't want anyone to know) . The doctors said after the last round and the surgery he would be clear. They lied or Dad's body lied. Either way it don't matter at this point. It's time to rebuild that old war beast truck and take him for a ride before time passes. None of us are getting any younger. Only thing is he isn't here to help rebuild it.
    Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

First... I wish the best for your Dad. I really do.
    Thats a really good motivator. Excellent reason to be out there every day making it happen.

Now ask yourself David...
    Those people ... asking you why you want to 'spend YOUR money'
    on something THEY dont understand...

what do THEY think you should be doing with YOUR Money?

Getting really cool 22 inch rims, and a boom boom stereo?
    A 60 inch big screen TV and a New Alienware computer ?

Going to the best restaurants and dropping 250 bucks a meal?

Smoking 25 dollar cigars at the wine bar and picking stocks?

Getting a 70,000 dollar Lexus so you look "successful"

I dont know Man...

Seems to me that rebuilding an M 715 is worth more than all of that combined, and it will outlast everything I mentioned.

I guess some people "get it" and most dont.

"those who know...
    know
    and those that dont
    dont matter"

Keep the Green Iron Hot Bro.
    Its worth 10 million to Your Dad.

most wont understand that...

Superficial spoiled society.

You are doing the right thing.

I too must say, that I wish your dad the best. I wish my dad were still around so that he could see my truck and also my vintage audio equipment. Dad loved electronics but we could not afford the "good" stuff when he was still alive.

So far, friends and family have not questioned my motivation for restoring a military vehicle. But you can see in their eyes that they are not interested.

Most of my hobbies are obscure from the mainstream public. I am not into sports, never was. I always wanted to know what made things work and still do. I find that the M715 is easy to work on and we have access to all of the TMs so there is basically no guesswork.

Keep plugging along and get your dad into that truck. Go for a ride. Blow the horn. Certainly our trucks have a horn that sounds somewhat similar to that of a Prius. But our horn sounds with more AUTHORITY!

David, Thank you for posting your story, your build or restoration has more meaning to it than you most likely realize, 1) It will give you something to think about besides lifes other problems. 2) You and your dad have something to talk about and dream about, during visits, a good stress reliever for bolth of you. I know this because I was in the same position as you 8 years ago, My dad and I had many Jeeps we bought and sold, but never a 715, He was diagnosed with Lukeimia and spent several weeks in the hospital, several monthes in a nursing home, we were able to bring him home for a year and were forced to put him back in a nursing home, at this time a 715 showed up in the want adds of a farm paper, we talked about it, the KING Jeep, LOL, I contacted the seller and made a deal and on a very cold February day it came home, via his place, I will never forget his excitement looking at it on the trailer out the window or his first and only ride in it. This truck gave us something to look foreward to, and talk about. I lost him nearly 6 years ago, since then have painted the truck added many missing things and the 715 was the best therapy for bolth of us.......All the best to your dad, Hang in there.

Lee

Well David, it's all been said above, so I won't repeat it. I wish my dad were alive to see and ride in my truck. I'm a Vietnam Era vet, my dad was a WWll vet, and it would have been awsome to ride around together.
    I believe my friends and strangers understand my love for the vehicle more than most family members. They have a hard time understanding the pleasure I get from doing my own maintenance on the truck. Also the thrill of driving it and showing it at shows, but most of all I like meeting the people who show interest in it and ask alot of questions about it.
    You finish that truck for your dad and for yourself. Good luck to dad.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"