Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 203 205 Doubler Need Advice Soon

Default 203 205 Doubler Need Advice Soon

I have changed direction a bit. Rather than run the divorced 205 case, I am going to run a 203/205 doubler. I am going to run the ORD doubler kit. I can run a regular drop or clock the 205 up so the bottom is basically flat (better ground clearance). Has anyone run the doubler with the 205 clocked up so the bottom is flat? I was wondering about clearance under the floor of the cab. I really don't want to run a body lift. thoughts?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

With a doubler that will probably put the rear case right under the back wall of the cab or so. If so, I don't think you will have much room to go up. As it is, there isn't a lot of room where the stock transfer case is between it and the floor. Probably less further back with the cab floor support channel being there.

As far as turning the case, that won't be a problem, because they don't use a pump, but just rely on splash lubrication.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I'm curious if you're going to use a divorced or married 203.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

I would go with one that's adjustable on the fly once u have it at home. I believe ORD is either clocked or not when u buy.

I can't think of the name at all right now. But one of them makes a kit that u can adjust once u have it. Do a mock up and still adjust if u don't like it.

I'm going to guess northwest fab is who I'm thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by gonz View Post
    I'm curious if you're going to use a divorced or married 203.
    Those are rare, I believe only ford used them. But really it don't matter when it comes to divorced and a doubler. You can get a kit to put any 203 on any 205.

Troop u running pass or drive drop?

I am running passenger drop with CUCV axles. The 203 is a married 27 spline. I looked at Northwest Fabworks clockable doubler kit. A guy I know who builds/rebuilds transfer cases for a business said the clockable ones can have more of a propensity to leak. I think I am going to go with the kit that keeps the 205 in the normal position.

I appreciate the quick responses. I wanted to get the parts ordered today. As of now, it will be a 203 (27 spline) married to a 32 spline 205. Shift rods will be worked to allow front axle engagement only, and Off Road Design triple stick shifters. I am going with 1410 yokes. I will switch the axles to 1410 also. I still need to take my 700R4 back to the transmission shop to switch out the shaft. Since they built it for me the first time, he said he would do the change over for $125. I thought that was reasonable. When they built the tranny for me, they used a four wheel drive case, but added a two wheel drive shaft and tail.

I had just finished building my divorced case mounting system. Hopefully, I will be able to salvage some of it to make an additional cross member since the doublers are a bit heavy and need extra support.

Sorry I didnt see this post earlier. I have a doubler in mine. I use a NWF doubler. I know several people who have used them. Im not sure about the concern about it being more prone to leaking. I would say its along the same lines as rebuiling or sealing a case. If you dont pay attention, it will leak regardless of the make.

Anyway, My 205 is clocked level. I had no clearance issues with the transfer case, the shifters however were interesting. Granted, my doubler is sitting in a tube cage. I cant say you wont hit the body as our drivelines will be different in length and mounting location. Not sure if this helps, but it can be done with no cab notching.

I've gotta truck that has a 203/205 ORD doubler that the previous owner was installing. I haven't got the thing to drive yet so I can't say anything about the leaking. I think its gotta ford NP205 because it has a driverside drop. You can see from my pictures how the guy mounted everything and the hole he had to cut through the floor for it to fit.

TBI 454 and chunked up XL's.

Thanks for the information. TND, I looked at your photos, but could not tell on clearance. I did not want to go with a body lift so went with normal drop with ORD. I didn't get the leaking thing either, but I think he just had experience with the the ORD kit.

Thanks for the photos also Hummer 103. Looks like your off to a good start.

It would help if I had my cab around for measuring purposes, but it is 30 miles away for painting. I decided to take the safe route.

I am off for a 500 mile road trip tomorrow. First to the transmission shop in Wright City, Missouri to pick up my 700r4. I had to have it changed over to a 27 spline rear shaft to mate up to the doubler. Then four hours back the other way to Oakwood, Illinois to pick up my doubler. Going with triple sticks, 1410 yokes, and I am going to pick up 1410 yokes for the 14 bolt - Dana 60 axles while I am there. It is going to be a long day. I will post up photos on my build thread this weekend.