Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axle shafts?

Default Axle shafts?

I have a friend with a 1999 Jeep Cherokee. The front end is making a clunking sound when he turns and the vehicle is in 4 wheel drive. He was told he needs new axle shafts? If this is true, he wants to know where a good place to order them would be. We are here in Illinois. If anyone has an idea as to what could be making this sound and what part/parts need to be replaced, I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Default Axle shafts?

Guessing he has CV shafts. Easy way to tell, look under the front end and see if there are rubber boots around the shafts going to the wheels.

If so then yes he needs new ones. Shop around and see who has the best deal between the major auto parts stores.

They are just wore out. It happens.

My 1996 Grand Cherokee had split the rubber boots over the joints years ago. I should have replaced the boots but was lazy. When I did a complete brake job, I did the axles as well. I think that they were less than $50 each from NAPA rebuilt. But it is considerable work. Hardest part was separating the wheel bearings from the truck. Three metric bolts each side with 12-point heads, 13 mm box wrench did the trick. But I got new bolts since the heads were so eroded from corrosion (Maryland winter salt roads).

No, he has axle housings from the differential. Dana 30 I believe. Would this mean a Jeep parts supply house, and not a local Napa or auto parts store?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Hey Don, I've never looked under his Jeep. Do you think he has CV shafts also? I don't know to much about this kind of stuff. Maskale must be correct in his assumption. If I keep asking enough questions, I may learn alot before I head into the next life.

I don't know the regular Cherokee. In my truck, it has a Dana front and rear. One is something like a 30 and the other like a 40; I dunno. I will say that I was stupid by not replacing the axle seals (Somewhere in that tube!!) on the Grand. Now, the right side seeps. However, I am most likely gonna donate the Grand to charity when I finally get moved to Florida in the early summer. Now, oil pressure has dropped to zero at idle. I haven't tried a mechanical gauge yet. Hmmm, 171,000 miles... and the AC doesn't work; not acceptable in FL .

A 99' Cherokee has a straight axle front end, I had one. Sounds like the u-joint on the axle shafts at the steering knuckles. Pretty common on those types of Jeeps. If a shop said he needs complete new axle shafts, take it to a better shop for a second opinion.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Does it have exposed U-Joints, not the CV type that are enclosed in rubber boots? If so, that would be different. But U-joints can often be replaced easily. I will test that theory when I replace them in my M715.

Default Re: Axle shafts?

He needs new u-joints not axles. Big difference in price. Ujoints are about $15 each. I would also rebuild bearings, seals, and brakes while had it apart.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I've owned a number of Grands, and Xj's and it can have either style joint depending on the axle model. I think the difference is high pinion or low pinion, but nonetheless, a quick look will tell you what it will need.

Look in the steering knuckle. If you see a rubber boot like a front wheel drive car has, then you have CV (constant velocity) joints. They can't be serviced if they are noisy and the whole axle needs to be replaced. If you see a conventional u-joint that is exposed, then you only need to replace the u-joint itself.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™