Thread: Engine swap talk

Default Engine swap talk

I have a great t444E international turbo engine and tranny from a bus.
    Any thoughts about putting this in M715
    Could do Devices t-case
    Just kind of asking as I have the engine here.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I seem to recall the T444 being a rather large engine. Get out the tape measure and see what you'll need to do to get it in there. It won't be a bolt in for sure. The E in T444E means electronic too, if memory serves me, so you will need everything from the bus; wire harness any control units for the engine and transmission, etc.

I am sure it can be done, just how much work do you want to put into it and how capable are you of doing the necessary fabrication to get it in there?
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Fabbing is no big deal
    And now that I think about it I don't thing this one is an E model as its not electric controlled
    And was another reason I thought about it
    Engine is big like you say but it can haul a bus load lol
    So to speak
    Parts are easy to get and I have it was my big thinking on the swap
    I am far away from doing it as I don't even have the m home yet but like to plan
    It's just the way I am

If it can be made to physically fit, then it certainly would be a unique one, as I don't think its been done yet. Seems like about every other combination has been at one time or another.

The two other things that come to mind are the clearance from the oil pan to the front axle, and where you will put the huge radiator the International used. Space is at a premium up front in the M-series. Not sure, but is that 444 intercooled? There may also be a separate oil and transmission cooler too. That usually adds up to quite a stack of stuff to factor in as well.

Aren't all International T444 motors the E version? The International T444E is the same basic engine as a Ford 7.3 Powerstroke. It will fit in the M715 and it is intercooled. There is a member on here who did the swap and took it to Easter Jeep Safari this last spring, think his name is KevinM715 or something like that. It won't be the easiest swap but its not the hardest either.

What kind of trans is in it? Is it a 7.3 naturally aspirated diesel?

I was thinking the 444E had a bigger oil pan, that huge SAE bellhousing, and some other differences. I'm not 100% on that, as its been a few years since I had my head under the hood of any heavier truck stuff.

I was gone all day driving to get the deal done on the m715 and take the paper work to the border but will be doing some measuring on the bus engine
    Yes the 444 and 7.3 are basically the same engine
    It's I'd inter cooled and as far as rad I think I can make one fit
    Yes theirs not a lot if room under the hood of the M theirs more then enough for a big engine
    I am not 100% sold I am going to do this just wanted to know some thoughts
    And I would like to thank you for them
    I may just go looking for a Cummings or stick one if my built AMC 360's in with t 18