Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldier Needs Help

Default Soldier Needs Help

Hello guys, how are you all.

I have a 1968 M-715, bought it from a guy in Montana, said it starts and drives fine, he didnt know what he was talking about and or was just screwing me over.

Got the Truck, 3rd and 4th have to be pushed in very hard, dont know if its clutch adjustment issue but 1st and 2nd work fine so i'm thinking the syncros might be lunch.

I drained and replaced all the fluids with Synthetic.

The engine needs a tune up, I did put new plugs in and with 10W30 it starts to smoke at idle after warm up, wrong oil, valve seals and or worn engine.

Anyhow I bought a NOS uncracked exhaust manifold because guess what I had cracks in mine, bought the snorkel kit, new front bumper and a host of other stuff.

I decided that the original engine was almost ok for 1968 so I bought a 2002 LS Chevy 6.0 LQ4 with documented 64,000 on her, as well a AMG Military H1 242 T case, the first one got the case cracked in shipping so he sent me a NEW one, all the broken one needs is a rear case $100 ish on Ebay, the person who shipped put the transfer case in a cardboard box with shipping paper .... O_o !

Also you can read on here my quest to get the right parts for a Soft Top as the Fire Department who got it after the Military built a Hard top, the wacked off the windshield frames upper steel piece that holds the canvas. what is kinda cool is they found a civilian Gladiator bench seat that is very nice.

So you guys helped me find another frame, got it as well some spare bows and frame parts. Thanks!

I'm at a cross roads and I hope you guys can help one way or the other.

I am thinking of selling her, I dont want to, but i'm not sure what direction to take.

For the soft top to work I need to take the glass out of the one and into the other unless you guys know where I can get glass?? I am worried about cracking it getting it in and or out, and I would like to keep it in so I can put the HT on when I want, think that would be cool to have the option.

As money gos I would like to just put the engine in with the stock trans and drive it around till I can get another trans, but I have no idea what kind of FAB work it will be to get say a 4L85e trans in?

In short if I had a good working T98a and a good clutch I could just get the engine in and drive it around.

I need help guys, if not anyone want to buy her?
    If anyone wants to help a Disabled Retired Soldier (00-06) with this in Virginia I could use your help, I want to keep her but need some help bad, not free help as I do have some money I just need some help if anyone can give it...
    Hat is in my hands.

68' LS TT 6.0 /4L85e /AMG 242

That's a Montana Forestry truck.

Here it is in service.

[IMG][/IMG]

Somewhere on this site there is a manual for the conversion of these trucks, but I can't find it now.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Hey Scott,
    Did you find some of those front canvas tracks that go on the windshield when you were in Iowa? Looks like RAMairGTO72 can use one.

I use Penzoil 10w30 in my stock engine too. It seems to do well with it.

Sometimes, just step back and take a deep breath. It will come together!
    Best wishes,
    Ken
    Thanks for all the help!

Yes, Vintage power wagons has the steel track that goes on the upper part of the windshield to hold the canvas. I seen them there last month. Ask for Matt, he's the m715 guy.

Scott

Here's the link on the original conversions.

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/man...st_convert.pdf

Scott

That's a good looking truck you have. Hope you keep it and get it up and running the way you want it. Good luck to you.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Well that was a little spooky seeing my truck lol!

Have to ask what was the story of you taking the picture, where was it?

I'm not sure, i'm no stranger to engines and oils... Only way to tell to do a compression test, however smoking is never good in any case.

I have a 6.0 LS2, I don't like the idea of a Chevy in this Jeep, the only slight I have is that even Jeep used GM engines and Trans, so some of my guilt is off.

If I do keep her the engine I have wanted to have in her is the Cummins I6, not the BT4 as I plan to use my truck not just get around it in. Also i'm not found of Diesel fumes , had enough of it from the Military and don't want anymore, on top of that its going to be topless so its going to stink no matter what all the time.

I have read the mod tec in here from top to bottom and back about switching axles, its just crazy, I have a hard time getting my mind around the factory D60 front being a POS, I have even talked to vets that say they would break all the time!

I know that a Chevy Express 14bolt is wide enough but as for the front axle I need a Driver Drop dully High pinion Kingpined Ford D60, and besides seeing some Rockwell fronts with 4 wheels I have never seen a D60 front dully axle ..... anyone reading this please step in and educate me.

Then we have bolt pattern issues with a Chevy & Ford, then who knows what backspacing to use!

I built a 1972 GTO from the ground up, built it to be fast, still have it in PA with less then 3,000 miles on it, I did all the work, less setting up the bottom end of the engine, but I balanced and polished the rods and ported my own heads, and replaced every rubber part and turned every bolt but for some reason this Truck in swamping me in unknown parts.

I am about at my limit, I hate to farm out anything but I am going to check on a few people here, one guy owns his own garage and belongs to a military collectors group, going to him to see if we can do this and for how much.

I would like to know from any of you about changing over to Power steering, notably the steering box, my shoulder is messed up from the ARMY and its very hard for me to turn it, as well is the factory steering wheel and column the best way to go?

I could use ANY help guys..

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by RAMairGTO72 View Post
    Well that was a little spooky seeing my truck lol!

Have to ask what was the story of you taking the picture, where was it?
    I should rephrase, the photo is of the original auction when it was taken out of service.

Scott

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I just read your posts and this thread for the first time today, and I wanted to add my $.02. Take it for what its worth.

First of all, realize that you bought a 40+ year old vehicle. It will need work.

Second, it can all be fixed, but it won't be fast or cheap. Think of it in smaller chunks, rather than one gigantic looming project. Procedure is your friend here.

Third, you probably need to really sit down and figure out what you want to do with your project. Honestly. Write it down. There is a lot of information on this site and other places too, but until you know what you want, you will really be just firing off questions and only complicating the process in your mind.

Everyone here is more than helpful, but you will get many ideas, and many differing opinions on what you should or could do. No one size fits all. It is your truck. Make it yours by doing what you want with it. No one can make those decisions for you.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™