Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temperature gauge

Default Temperature gauge

While driving the gauge shows 175-180F, after heating it is rocksteady the same.
    The gauge is more or less measuring the heat correct,
    Truck has a stock Tornado, What is the recommended temperature to see?

Temp gauge should read the temp of the coolant in the engine as you have mentioned. That temp should be about the same as the thermostat installed. So, if it reads around 160, you have a 160 thermostat. I think that the temp you are reading is just about where it should be...

The Manual (Appendix) reads 187F for opening

If the temperature comes up quickly and levels off I suspect that there is a thermostat present. If it takes a long time and goes up and down with load, might not be one present. Thermostats are a good thing and if the radiator is good and not clogged it should be more than adequate.

Default Do Not

Do NOT run without a thermostat!!! Stock is 190 degrees.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

My truck runs at exactly 190 degrees. It's so rock steady at that temp on the guage, I sometimes wonder if the guage is working correctly. If you don't have a heater (as I don't) what's the downside of not having a thermostat in the stock motor?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    If you don't have a heater (as I don't) what's the downside of not having a thermostat in the stock motor?
    A thermostat is a regulating device. Without it, the engine will never get to or stay at a proper operating temperature, and can in fact even overheat without it. The reason is because the water needs to stay in the engine long enough to heat up, but conversely needs to stay in the radiator long enough to leave off the heat to the airstream. Without a thermostat, the coolant will just circulate continuously and never remove the heat effectively in a warm climate. In very cold climates, the engine may not get up to full operating temperature which necessitates a richer mixture that can wash down the cylinders of lubricating oil, and also not allow the oil to get to a temperature warm enough to lubricate the other internal engine parts well enough.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    A thermostat is a regulating device. Without it, the engine will never get to or stay at a proper operating temperature, and can in fact even overheat without it. The reason is because the water needs to stay in the engine long enough to heat up, but conversely needs to stay in the radiator long enough to leave off the heat to the airstream. Without a thermostat, the coolant will just circulate continuously and never remove the heat effectively in a warm climate. In very cold climates, the engine may not get up to full operating temperature which necessitates a richer mixture that can wash down the cylinders of lubricating oil, and also not allow the oil to get to a temperature warm enough to lubricate the other internal engine parts well enough.
    And not burn off contaminates in the oil, like gasoline.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Well said gentlemen. Got another education here. You got the point across, 10-4 over and out.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    And not burn off contaminates in the oil, like gasoline.
    Forgot that. Thanks!
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™