Thread: Hello from Mexico NY

Default Hello from Mexico NY

Hey all,

I've been driving Jeeps for 20+ years but I finally picked up a 68 M715 last July. It's all original, and once I get the brakes working I'll have it on the road. Looking forward to restoring it and painting it but for now it's been hauling firewood and may plow snow this winter.

Welcome Riverdog. Nice complete looking rig.

Welcome to the Zone. That is a nice looking truck. And it has the troop seats. They are usually missing and take a lot to find and/or repair.

Brakes are easy to get going. The parts are out there; NOS or new.

Thanks for the picture. You know we love pictures...

Nice truck
    I am amazed at how many things are the same on my 67
    Black painted troopseats, correct taillights, ect. I wish I new the history on my truck.
    I hope you don't have the bondo suprises I have had.
    Welcome Riverdog.

Looks really good RD! Welcome to the Zone!
    Thanks for all the help!

Riverdog, do your tailgate chain hooks match?

Does any one know if those are the correct ones? I have seen two different kinds used.

Welcome Riverdog. Where did you pick up your truck? I'm only a few hours away in Cornwall, ON and can never forget the turn off for Mexico while driving down I81. LOL. "Honey, I think we've gone too far!"

I've been meaning to head down your way to meet up with Doghead from Steel Soldiers who lives a little north of you.

I got my maintenance truck from the Syracuse area.

Hopefully Ft. Drum will put on their "Drive through History" event next year so that we can all meet up there with our trucks.

Enjoy your truck!
    1967 M715 w/wn
    1968 M715 w WVT993 maint bed
    1969 M725

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I've been searching for an M715 for a few years but most around here were rusted and had chevy power. I found this through a guy in my jeep club. The previous owner purchased the truck in 2000 and although everything worked he didn't want any surprises. He located surplus parts, crate engine with moth balls, new axles, transfer case etc... he had almost everything on the truck replaced with crate parts. The only aftermarket addition he had put on was the manual locking hubs up front. He drove it right down the highway so he wanted to unlock the front to improve gas mileage. It came to him red ( as many do from the fire departments) so he painted it and I plan to as well. I got boxes of spares, doors, rocker panels, gears, brakes, and a spare engine that runs. My spare engine has 25k miles on it, the engine in the truck has 4k miles and runs like a champ.

-Yes my tailgate hooks match.. not sure if they're original but most things on this truck seem to be. I've been using it on my 11 acres to haul firewood, and as I'm sure you all know the gearing is so low the lack of brakes hasn't been a concern. It's been sitting since 2004, but I have the turn signals and horn working so once I get the brakes done I plan to register it. I also got a custom tool box and spare set of rims with mud tires.

Get it running good enough to put in the Cape Vincent NY French festival parade with me in 2013.
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

Good looking truck!
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15