Thread: Power Steering Pumps

Default Power Steering Pumps

I have started to do a power steering conversion, using a saginaw "76" box out of a Wrangler YJ, but I don't have much experience with the parts, and I'm not sure what year the box came out of. Looks like the YJ's ran from '87 - '95. I'll be installing the pump on a stock 230, so I need to use a pump with a vbelt style pulley, and from what I've gathered it looks like the YJ's had v-belts in the early years, on the 4.2L engine and the early 4cyls ('87-'91)? I think a late CJ pump would work as well.
    I called the local junk yard and they didn't have anything in stock for a Wrangler, and not many older parts in general. The guy did say that I could come down and pick one out off the shelves out back though, if I could find one that would work.
    So, my question is: Do all the pumps use the same fittings? I have gathered that '79 and older is inverted flare fittings, and '80 up is o-ring metric. Does that mean that any pump I find, that is newer than 1980 with a vbelt will work, and I can use YJ lines to the box? Obviously I'll have to do some work with the brackets, but that shouldn't be a problem. I would appreciate any input that some of you more experienced guys may have.
    Thanks for the help.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Brackets you'll need to fabricate.

The flare or o-ring fitting is your preference really as the pump is the same otherwise.

Any V-belt style GM Saginaw pump will work, you just need the correct combination of lines and fittings. There are also standard to metric fittings available that will allow you to use pretty much any combination you want.

If you can find a GM Van or some Suburbans they had pumps with a remote mounted reservoir that can make pump mounting a little easier where space may be a concern.

It won't have to be a Jeep pump. They were all Saginaw stuff anyway.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Ok great, that's what I was hoping. I will try to find one that is the o-ring style so it'll match the box. Do you know if the GM pump, if I get a metric o-ring one, will have the same threads as a wrangler pump so I can use factory hoses?
    Thanks again

I am not certain that stock Jeep hoses will be long enough, because on the 230 where you'll need to mount the pump is up high on the drivers side.

When I did my power steering, I used an application for a mid-70's 20 series Chevy pickup with a 454 because I used the pump from that approximate year. The box was from a mid 80's FSJ Wagoneer. Keep in mind this was on a Big Block Chevy in my truck, so the line length may need to be different yet for a stocker. The components are still the same though otherwise.

Because I had a mix/match set of parts, I seem to recall that I used the hose that fit the box on the pressure side then scavenged around and found a pressure relief valve from a pump that was the metric thread. You can change the pressure relief valve from pump to pump regardless of year, which will then garner you either the metric or standard thread, flare or o-ring fitting. That is the 1 inch fitting in the bottom of the pump that the pressure hose screws into. Just be sure if you switch it to make sure you install the valve and spring behind it in the correct orientation. The return line is just a regular non-high pressure hose, so all you'll need is a hose barb with the proper thread size for the box. The power steering pump has a 3/8" return fitting already on it.

Inverted flare or o-ring makes no difference, I made my own hoses, ends are availible at napa. I purcased the ends and a length of hose, went home and fit everything, indexed the fittings on the hose with a paint marker and took them back to napa and had them crimp them, that way you get what you need not what will fit.
    MHO, Lee

I am on the far edge of some minor farming area here. I see guys bringing hydraulic hoses in for replacement and the NAPA guys will make them while you wait. But on weekends, you may not have the person/persons there who know how to make them. But your NAPA may be better...

Quote Originally Posted by bullmoose View Post
    Inverted flare or o-ring makes no difference, I made my own hoses, ends are availible at napa. I purcased the ends and a length of hose, went home and fit everything, indexed the fittings on the hose with a paint marker and took them back to napa and had them crimp them, that way you get what you need not what will fit.
    MHO, Lee

Good advice.

Just be sure the NAPA has power steering hose fittings. Some don't carry them and have to order them. Weatherhead is usually the line they are carried in.