Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol and Sta-Bil

Default Ethanol and Sta-Bil

My truck is not a daily driver. I have been filling my M725 with 10-gallons at a time and adding 1-oz of Marine Sta-Bil to the 87 Ethanol. The bottle is almost empty and I need to buy more. The website is quite clear that marine engines need marine Sta-Bil. And, the marine formula has FOUR TIMES the Fuel System Cleaner than in Regular STA-BILŪ Fuel Stabilizer and DOUBLE the corrosion preventer than in Regular STA-BILŪ Fuel Stabilizer.

I have been using the marine formula on the assumption that our fuel tanks are vented. By this I mean that, as the outside air temperatures increase and decrease, our fuel tanks breathe by sucking outside air into and out of the fuel tanks. I'm thinking this means that the water vapors in the air will condense on the inside of our old vented tanks more than a sealed or vapor/vacuum locked tank like in modern vehicles. Therefore, more water vapors means I should be using Marine formula. But, I also understand marine engines have a mechanical water separator, and our trucks do not. Does this mechanical fuel separator have anything to do with why marine engines should use the marine formula Sta-Bil? That said, should we be using automotive Sta-Bil ethanol treatment? It is a lot less expensive. And, this type of question is not clearly addressed in the Sta-Bil website Q & A. How much of the information is truth and how much is marketing?

Is anyone else using fuel additives? Anyone else having problems with ethanol? I posted a similar question about a year ago which caused several conversations, but i could not find where anyone was using an automotive Sta-Bil ethanol treatment.

Thanks in advance.
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

I would look around, near me in town is a Co-op called Cenex. The only fuel they sell is non ethanol gas and bio diesel blends. Maybe there is such a place near you. If you could find non ethanol fuel then you can certainly get away with the regular stabil. I don't think marine stabil would harm anything in the old 230. It doesn't seem to bother my 1990 115 Yamaha on my boat. Good luck

I read this earlier this morning and did a quick search but nothing really came up. I cant immagine it hurting anything though. I wonder if it could be EPA related? Kind of like all the lead additves that are for "off road use only". Maybe with all the extras added, calling it "Marine Sta-Bil" is just a legel term. I dont have anything to back this up... just a thought.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Being in the motorcycle business, this stuff is a daily issue for us.

Here in a nutshell is what I've found through actual experience:

The red Sta-bil for a long time wouldn't work in ethanol based fuel. I understand that they have changed the formulation now, but last I checked, it didn't specifically say on the bottle anything about ethanol. The blue/green Sta-bil or Marine formula, is definitely ethanol compatible and says so on the container. It does work, but usually only for a few months in any case. You won't do any harm using the Marine formula in your truck. I used it in motorcycles and other vehicles around here for a period with no issues.

Star-Tron is the brand we use the most here at the shop. It actually was designed specifically for ethanol issues and it does work. Again, only for a few months. Anything parked for over 6 months, is a crap shoot. Especially with carbureted, and vented fuel systems. Fuel injected vehicles seem to have less issues, mainly because of the sealed nature of the fuel system, i.e; no water intrusion, phase separation, etc.

The big thing is keeping stabilizer in there ALL the time. Keeping the tank as full as possible is also the best defense. Ultimately, driving your vehicle more is the best thing so that fuel doesn't sit.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Dont mean to steal your topic but my question kind of fits this topic.

Im working on putting in my new motor. Should I drop the tank, empty it and replace all fuel lines before I fire up the new motor?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Default Star-tron

I just got my truck but I have been using Star-tron for years now and have always liked how it kept up with the ethanol. I use it in all my small engines and riding mowers. I already added it to my M715 and plan on continuing as it won't be my DD.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Dont mean to steal your topic but my question kind of fits this topic.

Im working on putting in my new motor. Should I drop the tank, empty it and replace all fuel lines before I fire up the new motor?

If anything is old enough to restore. It needs all new plumbing. I like to do as much of the electrical as possible also. Bend the wide over in a small radius and inspect the insulation.

Thanks maskale. Ill make sure I replace it all.

To answer the original question. Yes, I use the marine Stabil in my M715, mini, lawnmower and anything else I have that is gasoline powered. My M715 gas engine broke and I am going diesel. When I pumped the fuel tank dry after it sat for a few months, the fuel was rusty orange. I had just filled the truck up and added Stabil before it broke too. All I can say is GRRRRRR......EPA......
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I have a 1997 (fuel injected) jeep Cherokee. It has been sitting since 2010 because it is undergoing a lot of modifications. Anyway, I am always worried about the gas in that. I keep the tank topped off right to the top, add regular red sta-bil (usually more than what the label says) and start it up at least once a month. It still fires up in less than a crank revolution... I also only add gas that was purchased in the summer, since the blend supposedly changes to a less desirable mix in the winter for the cold temperatures. Whether it does or not I can't say, but it's easy enough to avoid. I do the same for the Kaiser and my carbureted motorcycle in the winter months. I always make sure to let the engine run at operating temp for a while... All of our gas has a maximum of 10% ethanol as well. One other thing I do occasionally is add a small amount of mixed gas (40 or 50:1, 2 cycle oil) to the tank. I have spent a lot of time reading opinions and facts on this and it's probably negligible, but I think it does help keep the fuel system somewhat lubricated.

The lawn mowers, weed whackers and other small engines around the house haven't been so lucky with the ethanol. They don't get the same attention that my toys do, and I have had a lot of carb problems with small engines over the last two years. That's another topic, and I don't want to get started on that!