Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The 396-6.2 swap project

I don't remember foodstamp having some of these issues with his never ending thread.

Maybe it's just you Tim.
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

That could be Joe.

There are a few differences however. He had a side mount turbo which means the exhaust manifolds are basically upside down eliminating that issue.

He probably was given the correct oil filter from the idiot behind the parts counter.

I also think he was running an electric fan which means he didn't care about fan clearance. I also was running a short water pump on the 396 just so this wouldn't be a problem. It is a problem because I kept the stock short shaft when I put in the NV4500 which is a bit longer than a T98. Cutting an inch off the short shaft would make the fan a non issue, the manifolds clear the frame horns and put the injector lines into the heater box even more.

I don't think anybody running a 6.2 had a factory heater installed. A metal heater housing would make this a non issue because I could just use a hammer to make everything clear. Or, I could put the shorter 1988 and newer injectors and lines on the engine. I just need to pay for a truck sitting in my field that has such injectors first. I also think I have a metal heater housing on the 1963 Waggy in my field too.

Just to clear up something from a few weeks ago. I was concerned about why the engine was pulled from a HMMWV and stuck in the can. While trying to get it running, we just weren't getting any fuel to the IP. Then we noticed fuel coming from the vent spout on the lift pump. We swapped in the lift pump from the locked up engine and all was well. Maybe that is why it was pulled? Just the pump and the glow plugs so far have been found to be bad.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

You know how the military works-- if it don't work, pull it, replace it and let the depot figure out the problem.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Tim,

I think I gave you the wrong engine.

You where suppost to get the one with the snapped crankshaft....yeah that's it....the snapped crankshaft....bring that one back and we'll call it even

Since the 1988 is yours now, pull all the parts you need.

Cutting the short shaft sure sounds easier that all the other work. And besides you don't need heat in Texas. With all that Global warming stuff it's just going to get warmer.

At least your kids are getting a kick out of your install issues.
    Last edited by Warthog; November 13th, 2012 at 11:10 AM.

I didn't think you opened the other two up yet? Ouch, a snapped crank.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

The snapped crank is the one in the Rusty M1009. Was driving down the interstate at 55moh when she let go.

Funny thing is I can start it and it will run but sounds like a washing machine fully of tin cans

I thought all 6.2's sounded that way?

I've been doing wiring and fuel stuff when I have any spare time. The exhaust was the last thing I was going to work on, but last week I had a little time and figured I'd throw the exhaust manifolds on and ran into the same thing you did. The passenger side just has a casting nub or boss or whatever that can be ground off and I think it'll fit fine. The driver side not so much. Did you just lift the engine by putting plate under the mounts? Is there a different manifold that you think would fit better?
    Wir müssen Leben bis wir sterben

Just to see if it would work, we put 7/16" nuts between the engine and the "Spicer plates." Worked great for the exhaust manifolds and moved the fan clutch away from the radiator enough that I am going to leave it alone instead of cutting the valence to move it forward.

We have been making a fan shroud yesterday and today. It might be done next week and I will show pictures. Then the engine/NV4500 get to come back out so we can clean everything all up and put in new oil seals.

We also put the alternators on the test machine yesterday. One of them passed and the other has issues. We took it all apart to find a bad diode trio and rectifier. CUCV Electric.com has the best prices right now on rebuild kit. We have that one stripped down to the smallest parts waiting for the box to show up.

We pulled the starter apart today. Really crudded up, but everything looks good. We are going to clean, lubricate and put it back together instead of thowing new parts at it.