Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The 396-6.2 swap project

I tried bolting my hydroboost directly to the firewall and came up against the same problems. I built a 2" spacer and it solved all the mounting issues. My push rod was then the right length and I can check my oil and the hydroboost clears the injector lines.

I raised my engine so much for the exhaust manifolds to clear the frame horns that I am paying for it now. It will all work out.

I forgot to mention that we installed the complete M1009 engine harness last week as well. Changed the glow plug ends to they would plug into the 60G's along the way. I am bringing big battery cables in tomorrow so we should be able to start making the magic of 12/24 come alive as soon as the battery box is done.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Chris,
    Thanks for bringing the parts down. Colton and I went over there a few weeks ago to get them. I think Joe is coming down for the Rally in March. That is when the next shipment will happen.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

I'm curious to see your batteries installed after the fender mod.

I've been pondering where I am going to put another battery. I made a bracket and put one battery in the flat spot of the right inner fender. That worked fine for the 305 but I plan to add another battery for the diesel.

I spent about $100 last spring buying 2/0 cable and ends to build cables. That only got me six feet of red and six feet of black 2/0 cable and enough ends for 2 cables.

I don't think six feet will be enough to get the batteries back in the box in the cab.

I have a bunch of new, well bought new and never used years ago for my Mini, 2/00 wire. All black which is fine with me because that is what every wire on the M715 is supposed to be. All the wires on my M35's are black too. I have lots of number tags to punch and put on if I start to get confused.

Glad you got them mom didn't say you had got them already lol. I'm not sure when I'll be going down myself might try to make the march rally if plans work out, it should be fun.
    Chris

Tim, I have a hydroboost setup from a mid-80's G3500 van with drw. It is more compact than the pickup unit if that helps. I can shoot a pic if you need it.

Oh, and the pushrodlength is shorter too, IIRC.

This is the short push rod version. It will work out fine. Thanks though Dave.

"it will work out fine"..... Famous last words.

We figured out a way to make the Nitrogen can clear the injector lines by putting a 3/8" nut spacer on the passenger side Hydroboost mount and building a brace to go between the drivers inner fender and the bottom of the unit to push it up. It was actually tilted and twisted at the same time and cleared everything. I didn't take a picture.

I ordered brand new Hydroboost hoses for a 1985 K30 a while ago since that is what my power steering pump is from. Once we had the Hydroboost installed on the truck, the pedal moved freely, the push rod was just right and it was just a matter of screwing the lines in. That is where it has all gone wrong.

It turns out the unit I am using is a metric O ring unit while the hoses for 1985 are standard O ring thread. I of course figured this out after bending the metal line all up to fit just right. Thankfully, I had another unit on the bench next to the truck that Gimpy gave me in 2007 or so while Kwai and I were driving through Cincinati one midnight on a cross country parts trip. The hoses screwed into that one just fine.

The unit from Chris though is a long push rod one. The one we had bolted up was a short push rod version. Oh well, just a little cutting and welding to make it work.

We removed the metric unit from my truck and went to changing out the mount plates. Once you remove the snap ring, only a 1-7/8" open end will fit the big nut on there. It is a square face so no 6 or 12 point box end will fit. My students alway ask why I have such big tools in the tool room. They were amazed that something as small as a brake booster would need something so big.

Both the welding teacher and the autobody teacher are out the today and tomorrow. That means the welders are all locked up. Looking for something to do, I decided to make sure the lines fit the pump and steering box. No problem on the pump. The box was a problem. Of course the lines are bent for a K30 and not to go under that cross brace the M715 has.

Once I get it bent to fit, it wouldn't thread in either. I knew the box was not metric because I pulled it myself from a 1966 Impalla. I couldn't make it go. I walked over to Sermis' truck and it screwed right in. Then I looked in the box hole. The hose was standard O ring and my box is standard flare line fitting. RRRRHHHHH.

Thankfully, I hadn't thrown away the 1966 power steering lines I had been using on the box and my deciding to put new ones on is what started this entire Hydroboost thing. I cut the old and new lines where I wanted and used a compression fitting to put them back together. We will see how it works.

Once that was figured out, I got to looking online and realized I had been stupid. Why not just turn the booster over to clear the valve cover? Duh! Guys with old Bronco's and muscle cars do it all the time. I test fitted like that and my clutch master is about 1/8 too much in the way. That sure would free up a lot of space though. We might try something creative to make it fit upside down. However, the lines are all bent to be just right with it not upside down. Choice and choices.