Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The 396-6.2 swap project

Thanks for the picture Tim.

I must have the big mouth 27MT.

My gear reduction starter looks a little bit like the one on the left in that picture though. It's that lip on the left that hits my flywheel.

I am contemplating grinding that down now that I see that.

Yes, the edge closest to the Bendix and perpendicular to it is what was hitting the flywheel. The pictures don't show it, but I put scratches there trying to get it to fit.

Look at the top of the nose cone between the bolts. I am pretty sure grinding will work. However, there is a good bit of structural support added to the big mouth version. I am glad I went with the different nose. Well, I will be glad when it all bolt together correctly I should write.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Here it is Friday and no report of smoke rolling. What's up with that?
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Well, you did get a video earlier in the week of smoke rolling on the GP truck. Isn't that enough?

We spent the other part of this week making a mount for the engine oil cooler, switching starter nose cones, putting the starter on to find it clears the flywheel just fine. However, the Spicer plate is in the way of the support. I found that out a month or so ago and did the grinding then. However, the stock 230 motor mount also hits the bracket. I will pull the motor mount Monday to clearance.

We also mounted and plumbed a fuel filter/separator. We got the M1009 engine harness out and started looking at how to make it work on the M715. I think my biggest trouble is going to be alternator relays and a volt meter that works on 24 volts.

I need to make new power steering hoses because mine on the truck are showing their age.

Other than getting the 6BT back in the truck for Sermis and all bolted up to motor mounts I feel will last. That was it for this week.

Got a Scout parade the M715 would be perfect for in the morning. The M1009 is going to do it instead. I don't want to pay the fuel to take the Gasser 130 miles round trip plus the parade and the Whistler threw a XL the other day.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Thanks for the update. As you should know most of us look forward to the updates.

Just like a "relationship" with a significant other, you look forward to it and when it doesnt happen you are disappointed.

Tim, you never asked if I had second spare interior harness with the VM relays.

You must be really busy.... or getting old...

Thanks for the update. As you should know most of us look forward to the updates.

Like of like a "relationship" with a significant other, you look forward to it and when it doesnt happen you are disappointed.

I was going to hit you up for relays and plugs if I think I need them once I start actually looking into how I am going to wire it up.

Thanks.

I missed my Friday update. DOH!

We started putting the Hydroboost in last Thursday and ran into all kinds of issues. Pedal push rod length, mounting holes, hitting the #5 and #7 injector lines on top of the valve cover, new longer brake lines to reach that far forward and making it so I can't check the engine oil because the master is in the way.

We figured out mounting holes, how to tilt it up and how to tilt it toward the fender for engine clearance. I think we have the brake lines bent close enough they don't need replacement and I also think we can check the oil now. We should have it fabbed up pretty good tomorrow and I will take pictures. Pedal length is going to be ok as well.

We did get the oil cooler installed, put oil in the engine and a new filter on it. I am using a M1009 dip stick with a HMMWV oil pan. 2 gallons got us to the add line with a dry filter and dry cooler lines. I hooked up the oil psi gauge this morning and gave the pump a spin with an air rachet. 22 psi, no leaks and now we are half way between ADD and the end of the stick. I am not sure if I want to add another gallon to get it up to full on the stick or just make my own marks on the stick. Worry about it later.

Since I had to remove all the fuel lines to get the vacuum pump out, I went ahead and hot wired my electric fuel pump to prime the fuel system. It chugged for about 10 seconds and then I couldn't hear it anymore. I was leaning over the engine with a catch can and had the students look around for wire problems.

Turns out my Fram G2 fuel filter between the tank and pump was the problem. That thing was nasty. So nasty, I couldn't even blow air through it. I think I last replaced it a year before the gas engine died which was 11 months ago now. We removed it and had the pump working just fine. I now have diesel up to the IP input, but I didn't want to pressurize that yet until we are ready to bleed the injectors. All the fuel lines were hooked back up after the vacuum pump was put back in.

I have brand new power steering/Hyrdoboost hoses, but can't put them on until we get that mount correct. That also means I won't be tempted to fire the truck up because I don't want the pump running dry.

It is alot easier to put those hoses on the steering box with the radiator out, so I can't finish making my hoses yet and pressure testing that system yet either.

We chalk outlined where we are going to cut the passenger side inner fender to make it so a pair of Optima batteries will fit. We should start cutting, bending, beating on that tomorrow. Then we will be shut down for the rest of this week. Teacher conference for 3 days in Austin. Next week is supposed to be a combined school project and no subject work. Then we have a normal week, a week of state test, spring break, a full week and then the Rally in B/CS. I might not make it in this truck unless I take it home and finish up there.

Once we do get all the stuff mentioned above, there is still the exhaust system to run. I thought I found a not so cheap, but easy way to get most of it. OReilly has pipe bent for a K5 on their website with the 6.2. That would get me past the Tcase on both sides, a 2 in/1 out muffler would make it easy to run a single 3" pipe over the rear axle and out in the stock location. They list it, but don't carry it. Back to the drawing board on that one. We pulled the passenger side manifold today and I am going to go see a shop in town that might be able to bend up something to fit and we will do the cutting/bending/ welding on the rest ourselves.

Tim I left those parts with my mom sorry I haven't been around but it was a pretty crazy trip. I will be making another trip down there in a month or 2 if you guys need more parts shipped as long as it fits in the back of my HHR I have no problem playing mail man. This trip I hope will be a little longer and a little better planned.
    Chris