Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting M715 to chevy

Default Converting M715 to chevy

I just picked up a free M715 chasis. It has nothing in or on it except a transmission, which probably doesn't work, I have heard a chevy conversion can be done. What kind of fabrication, if any, will need to be done to put chevy tranny, transfer case, engine, axle, etc into this jeep? Also, which types would you guys recommend using? Thanks.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

That is a pretty general question, but there are a lot of ways to go and as many ways to get to the end you want. Small block Chevy conversions are by far the most popular and easiest, although pretty much anything you can think of has been installed in an M715 at one time or another.

Just do a quick search for Chevy 350, or small block conversion and you will get more reading that you can finish in one sitting.

Oh, and welcome aboard!
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Welcome. It should be pretty easy for you since nothing is in the way. You can get a universal engine cradle from transdapt or speedwaymotors.com, use the transfercase crossmember from the donor vehicle, or make that.
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

You say you got the chasis
    What about the cab?
    If you want to use the Novak engine mounts. They will attach to the stock engine mount horns on the frame.You would then have to clearance the firewall, clearance= beat in with a BFH.
    If wou decide to use a custom mount. it still would be nice to have the cab and maybe the radiator support to help you locate the engine and trany with proper clearance.
    I used a transadapt motormount crossmember. I used the bumpstop mount bolt holes to locate the crossmember nice and square. That gave me clarance from the firewall with no clearancing. I am sure I will have to use an electric fan because it is going to be a little tight up front.
    Do a couple searchs on small block chevy mounts you will get lots of info.
    Do a search on some of my old post and you will get some pictures and info.
    Lots of good folks on this site.
    If you need help the members will be glad to assist.
    i561.phot

i unbolted brackets and mounts off a chevy truck frame and welded them the the 715. In my mind that was the best way now the motor thinks is in a chevy and you can use common full length headers for a chevy with no issue. very cheap as long as you can weld.
    yes you will want a cab and basically the front clip before you mount it. The possibilities are endless...

Default Finally making progress

I know its been a while since I started this thread. I am finally making progress on this m715. When I bought it all I received was a cab, bed, and frame. I have done lots of research and decided to go with rollies idea of the suburban frame. Unlike him I left none of the firewall intact and I am almost done mounting the suburban brake booster and steering column to the m715 firewall. I ditched the idea of the 350 motor and I am running with a 1990 6bt cummins .

Once I figure out how to add photos I will!

This is the suburban I bought for the frame to use in the m715. I got a steal of a deal some guy was selling it for parts because the transmission was bad. The truck came with a new transmission and transfer case in the back of the vehicle. Let the tearing down begin!

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/9813/r2QhKC.jpg

What transmission, transfer case, and axles are you running behind the 6bt? I a guessing a Dana 44 in front and 14 bolt rear if you are using the Suburban axles.

I am using the stock Getrag 360. I had some issues since the donor truck was 2wd vehicle. I was looking at possibly buying the adapter plates to match the chevy transmissions I have but that was cost prohibitive. After calling every junkyard in the state and having no luck finding any transfercases for the Getrag and no divorced transfercases. I resorted to a Facebook group I am part of for offroading and luckily I found a guy that had a divorced dodge 205 transfercase for $100! I have a dana 60 and 14bolt rear that I have already built up with 5:13 gears and yukon lockers that I am wanting to swap into this jeep. I have a chevy 3500 I just about finished that I am going to tear apart and use the guts in this jeep. I am planning to get back to work on the jeep tomorrow and I'll add lots more pictures