Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock steering issue

Default Stock steering issue

So my truck is getting more and more difficult to steer everytime I drive it. Is the stock box serviceable in some way. Either greaseable or what?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The stock steering boxes were originally filled with oil if memory serves me correctly. If its stiff, I'd first disconnect the linkage at the pitman arm to be sure its the box and not a binding kingpin or something else in the steering.

If it is in fact the box, I'd pull it, disassemble it, check it out and do whatever it needs. Of the last few manual steering gears I've rebuilt, I don't fill them with oil as they always tend to leak, but instead pack them full of John Deere Cornhead grease.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    The stock steering boxes were originally filled with oil if memory serves me correctly. If its stiff, I'd first disconnect the linkage at the pitman arm to be sure its the box and not a binding kingpin or something else in the steering.

If it is in fact the box, I'd pull it, disassemble it, check it out and do whatever it needs. Of the last few manual steering gears I've rebuilt, I don't fill them with oil as they always tend to leak, but instead pack them full of John Deere Cornhead grease.
    Ok Ill jack it and disconnect some stuff try to determine where my bind is coming from. Wonder if I could drill and tap a zerk fitting on the cover of the box somewhere?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

You could add a grease fitting, but I'd be inclined to see what was in there first.

When I bought my deuce, the steering was pretty tight. I disconnected things until I determined it was the box. I pulled it and put it on the bench. When I pulled the cover off of it, I was greeted with about a quart or two of rusty water. That explained the binding. The truck had sat without a top for about two years.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I found the above posts interesting.I've often wondered how the steering box is lubricated. I've looked at it and wondered how do you fill it? Taking it apart and packing it with grease seems like the way to go. Mine has never leaked a drop, but now I wonder if their's even anything in it.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I have a NOS box, I went with power steering. Email me if you are interested.

packing with grease does seem like it would be the way to go. I wouldnt worry about a zerk, I doubt you will every "wear" that much grease out of the steering box.

What's hard about it? I know we had to fix Matt's (webstercj8) by replacing some of the doohickies from my parts truck. He said it was night and day difference.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

if steering gear is fine , another place to check is the axle shaft u- joint, when they go bad it gets harder and harder to steer.

AB Linn sells NOS boxes and pitman arms from time to time on eBay for $20-30 each. I have one and intend to replace the power steering stuff that someone stuck on my truck. NOS and that cheap? It made the decision easy for me...