Thread: cracked frame need advise

Default cracked frame need advise

hello all. i need some advise the frame is cracking on my m715 the 1st crack i saw it was on the passenger side in between the front spring hangers from the bottom up i had a friend weld it and its fine now and on the same side in front of the front spring bracket it has a mean crack from the top down. and another on the driver side. those are the ones i know of. the frame is dirty so its hard to look for more. should i keep welding them? i dont feel all that about it. but my friend knows how to work metal. or i been thinking of getting a 1st gen diesel 4x4 single cab dodge or a cucv truck and putting my cab and bed on it. well thats my problem right now and would like to hear opinions and advise. thanks all have a fun/safe weekend...
    68 383ls1 4l80e NP241 37s 4:11

Yes Sir, as stout as these trucks are, those front spring hangers have crappy welds. Good you caught it, after they break it's a chore to get them back in place. Seems like it was Barrman that found that out also. I was going down a hill braking when one broke off on me. I had run the exhaust pipe going between the frame and spring pack, when it broke it jammed the pipe up and snapped the Ram Horn manifold in half. Everybody needs to check their trucks and overweld those hangers, if it hasn't already been done.

just to be clear the accual hanger isnt cracked the frame is. not the hanger welds. the hanger welds are holding well. i found a 92 dodge truck 4x4 diesel with the nv4500 for cheap. but i am still debating if i want to switch frames.

Hmmm, personally never seen or heard of that. That is a problem. Do you know if Steve McQueen ever drove that truck?

to swap frames or not is up to you whether you want to go trough the work or not, measure plenty and see how close of a fit they are.

on the weld repair clean the area really well and find the end of the crack, then drill a hole though the frame, this will stop the crack. Then grind a grove down the crack so you get good penetration when you weld it up. If you chose you can then also grind the weld smooth and put a plate over the weld to further stiffen the frame there.

The frame is boxed there, is it cracking on both sides?

He just gave good advice. I'm no more than a shade tree, and don't try to give advice. However, I cut a frame in half and took 13 inches out of the rear of one. I welded it back, then welded a plate on and bolted it back together. Been crashing around in it for a couple of years with no problem.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Good advice ^^

I'd definitely plate it after repairing it. Both sides.

I can't say I've heard of a frame cracking either. The spring hangers are a known issue, but the frames are usually pretty stout.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

That's awesome info ill get pics tomorrow of one my guy repaired. And some more cracks

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2