Thread: Fuel filler neck question

Default Fuel filler neck question

Didn't find it directly in the archives so thought I'd ask...

Need to replace the fuel filler neck soon (as in 5 years ago). Is there anything out of the ordinary that it'd be good to know before-hand to avoid troubles? Will 45 years of gunk/paint/contact have the old one frozen to the grommet where it passes through the body panel for example? Is replacement material even available for that grommet (probably wrong word) as it is probably so dried out too that it'll crumble?

Anything else that might not be obvious?

Seems like a no brainer job but sometimes those are the ones that bite back.

Thanks. I'd rather look stupid for asking than have to invent new swear words because I didn't ask....

i split a section of vac tubing, glued it on and put the seam at the bottom.
    ebay and memphis are the only two places i know of to get the large diameter
    rubber elbow part.......al

I put a new one on last year. It went easier than some had experienced. There are some good suggestions, starting at post#8 in my build:
    Finally got her on the road!
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

I bought one from VPW about 4 years ago, it was new old stock. The problem was, that within about 6 months it developed deep cracks nearly all the way through it. I think there are some out there now that are newly made. You may want to get one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I bought one from VPW about 4 years ago, it was new old stock. The problem was, that within about 6 months it developed deep cracks nearly all the way through it. I think there are some out there now that are newly made. You may want to get one of those.
    Memphis Equipment remans them. That is where I got mine. Thats a bummer that yours split so fast. Hopefully it was not too expensive...
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The new filler neck hoses are also made of an ethanol resistant rubber.

Just cut the old one off with a razor blade to get it off. You will also want to clean off the surfaces where it slides onto the tank and filler neck. I just used some steel wool for that. A little silicone lube and the new hose will slide on nice and easy. I did the same thing as osut362 for the grommet through the bed side.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

At the time that I bought mine from VPW, he told me that he had crates of them that he had purchased at an auction at some time. I remember telling him that I wish the original molds would turn up sometime. He said something like the molds were sold too but someone else purchased them. The one I got was 45 dollars, compared to around 65-120 for everyone else I called. The main reason mine cracked, was the pressure that the gerry can holder puts on the filler neck. I was tempted to coat mine in brake fluid to soften the rubber. any thoughts on if this is a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    At the time that I bought mine from VPW, he told me that he had crates of them that he had purchased at an auction at some time. I remember telling him that I wish the original molds would turn up sometime. He said something like the molds were sold too but someone else purchased them. The one I got was 45 dollars, compared to around 65-120 for everyone else I called. The main reason mine cracked, was the pressure that the gerry can holder puts on the filler neck. I was tempted to coat mine in brake fluid to soften the rubber. any thoughts on if this is a good idea?
    You will hate me for this. "Bite the bullet" and buy a new one. The brake fluid will possibly make it soft etc. and make a mess.

Just my two cents though...

Thanks for pointing me there....missed it on the search for some reason.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has to invent new swear words to get through a job

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who has to invent new swear words to get through a job
    I work on British motorcycles for a living. Need I say more?
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™