Thread: hole in fly-weel cover

Default hole in fly-weel cover

i was under the truck the other day and saw a round hole in the cover. is there a plug for this and its missing or is it to be open to drain water?or is it to have oil in it? lost and dont know so any info will be nice.

DWR
    Duran W Ray

DWR,
    It's my understanding that it needs to be there only when water fording or driving in very dusty/dirty conditions. I don't have one there either.
    Thanks for all the help!

The plug looks like a plumbing plug for a drain pipe. The head is four sided (square). While I don't do any fording of rivers, I keep the plug in the glove box. I have a very small rear main seal leak, and this fording hole is where one drop of oil leaks out of after I use the truck. I'm sure you could probably get a plug to fit it at your local hardware store.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Plug is only to be used when fording.

Don't put one in there for normal driving. The rear main seal on a 230 leaks and if you do plug the bell housing drain, oil can and will accumulate over time and lube up your clutch really nicely, rendering it useless.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    Plug is only to be used when fording.

Don't put one in there for normal driving. The rear main seal on a 230 leaks and if you do plug the bell housing drain, oil can and will accumulate over time and lube up your clutch really nicely, rendering it useless.
    "What he said..."

If you want to put one in while fording you need a 3/4" NPT plug. NPT stands for national pipe thread.

You can get it at most any hardware store or Lowes or Home Depot.

it may be useless info, but if you want a cheap version most 55 gallon oil drums like what most people cut the tops off of for burn barrells the small bung on top is 3/4 npt and has a little gasket already on it.

Want to say thanks for the info, will not be doing any underwater rides so will pick one up when i find it at the store. Thanks again

DWR
    Duran W Ray

Quote Originally Posted by ou719 View Post
    it may be useless info, but if you want a cheap version most 55 gallon oil drums like what most people cut the tops off of for burn barrells the small bung on top is 3/4 npt and has a little gasket already on it.
    That's very good info ou719. Interseting too.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"