Thread: Cab Removal without Braces

Default Cab Removal without Braces

I recently purchased my first M-715 and in the process of completely breaking it down. I am essentially ready to lift the cab off, however I would like to know if I can safely do this without welding in braces / supports? What risk do I run with this cab twisting? For now I am just planning on lifting it off and setting it to the side so I wont be moving it far.

A second question is what to set it on so I dont crush the rocker panels? I was thinking using a couple lengths of 6x6.

Thanks for any advice.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

If the rocker panels and floor are solid, then you won't have any issues. If there is significant rust or rot, then I'd brace it up first.

The empty cab isn't that heavy. 4 of your friends should be able to lift it off easily enough and a little padding on the floor or several blocks of wood will do just fine for it to sit on.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    If the rocker panels and floor are solid, then you won't have any issues. If there is significant rust or rot, then I'd brace it up first.

The empty cab isn't that heavy. 4 of your friends should be able to lift it off easily enough and a little padding on the floor or several blocks of wood will do just fine for it to sit on.
    Thanks for the reply. I think I will just lift it off then. The cab has a few "small" spots of rot but generally the floor and rockers are in good shape.

The cab is light enough that you could leave the doors on without much trouble - then you wouldn't have to worry about it
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

I have something else that I would like to ask about lifting off the cab. Recently I was looking around on the zone and saw pictures of someone wrapping a chain through the mounts for the battery box and lifting off with an engine hoist. Will these two brackets safely support the weight of the cab? It would sure be convenient if they will!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'm not sure I'd want to trust that bracket. I saw that post too, but that bracket is just welded to the sheetmetal in the floor, and not attached to anything else. I'd come up with a better attachment point if it were me.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Why not remove all the body mounts for the cab. Then cut two 2x4s so they stick out a few inches on each side of the cab and lift the cab up enough to get the 2x4s under it. Put an eye bolt in each end of the 2x4s and put a pully hanging from your rafters in the garage. Then just hoist it up enough to slide the frame out from under it.

Then you can lower the whole thing to the floor and do whatever you want to it. Maybe once its on the floor you can take the eye bolts out and put casters on so you can roll it where ever you want.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

I recently removed my cab using an engine picker. I put a piece of 4" channel steel under the tub that was long enough to reach past the supports on the bottom. I wrapped a chain around the channel and put it up through the big hole in the tunnel.

It isn't balanced this way and it requires two people to do it but my 13 year old son was able to help me. He pumped the jack and I balanced the tub as it was lifted from the frame. I then rolled the tub to the side and set it down on cinder blocks.

I'm guessing ur talking about my post. Yeah I was leery of it also, but was lazy to come up with a better way. Also the way I'm lifting that cab with the front clip the battery bracket is supporting very little weight, less then 100lbs. It's more for balance.

As always stay out from under any suspended load.