Thread: No Fire?

Default No Fire?

Ok backed the truck out the other day started on the down stroke just like always, parked outside to work on my friends Mustang, 3 hours later would not start? Rolled back in garage on the starter in first gear,(too dam heavy to push by myself).
    So I checked power to dist OK! looks like 24v at the coil, points are sparking when we open and close, no fire getting to cap? I hate electical! (even thought I am IBEW).
    Can anyone give me some ideas? ( I know you all will, thats why I love this site)
    Thanks
    Andrew

Pull a plug and see if there is spark and if it looks weak. My problem was the condenser. I had put a new (Chinese probably) one in when I rebuilt the distributor. After I put the old (looked like probably original) one in and it fired right up. It took a while to figure it out because it always looked like I had spark, but I guess it was just too weak. I was sure it was a fuel problem. I could even get the engine to fire by pouring gas down the carb.
    Wir müssen Leben bis wir sterben

I have no fire to the wires, I thought it was fuel also. I only have around 7-8volts at the center of the coil? Should that be 24v? I have 24v on both posts of the coil?

I know it has to be 1 or the other coil or condenser? Cap looks ok. I mean for being as old as it is. I would hate to order both if I do not need, only using the truck a few times this summer and tearing out drivetrain to upgrade.
    Thanks Andrew

There are posts about how to test the coil. All that should be in the maintenance manuals too I think. If you happened to leave the ignition switch on while it was sitting, I think I'd lean toward the coil.
    Wir müssen Leben bis wir sterben

Found the testing procedure in an old post,

The coil testing procedure is in the -20 manal, Chapter 2, Section 6,Table 2-6, Ignition System Circuit Troubleshooting, Item G:

Quote:
    g. Ignition coil defective.
    Check ignition coil primary winding resistance. Set ohmmeter on 10 ohm full scale range. Connect probes to positive and negative terminals of coil. Primary resistance should be 4.26. 4.9 ohms. If ohmmeter indicates 0 ohms or infinite resistance, replace coil. Check secondary resistance from coil primary terminal to tower Resistance must be from 12090 to 13910 ohms. If resistance is not within tolerance, replace ignition coil. Install distributor cover assembly.