Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help-how to remove 1965ndt from stock rims?

Default Help-how to remove 1965ndt from stock rims?

I finally got enough time to get the tires and rims I'm selling to a member here. When I went to the only shop that will mess with our rims they wanted 10$ each just to break them down. 50$ just to remove the tires not happening. So in all my lack of wisdom I thought- I'll just cut them almost in half with my sawzaw stoping close to he rim and try to pry them off. I cut one and with the hole big enough to look inside quickly decided they probaly won't pry off like I thought. After searching the forums I picked up that a billed sledg or using a hi-lift jack is a good way to break the bead. I need a hi lift jack so this is a great excuse to use with the wife. With any luck and a bit of suggestive work she will even suggest that I go buy one. Just like she did wig my new 1/2" electric dewalt impact.shhhh!!! Lol
    So after (if) I get the bed broken will the lock ring come right off and the tire come off as well. Or will I still half to pry the tire over the edge of the rim. Pretty sure I need to break the seal on both sides of the tire.
    So do I have the jist of it, am I missing anything to watch out for, and r there any other time & labor saving tricks. Thanks matt

Once the bead is broken away from the rim the ring will (should) just pry right off. There is an indentation on the ring about an inch or two, maybe 3 inches from the split that the tire tool will fit into to act as a pry point to get the ring started. Unless the ring is rust-welded it should just pry right off. After you get the first wheel done it will all make sense and while I can't say "easy", I will say "easier".
    After doing all 5 of mine, I took the set down to the sandblaster and had them cleaned. I repainted them with an epoxy primer and after they dried reassembly was a snap. I was able to just step on/stomp the rings back in place with my feet.

Give the shop the $10!
    Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by kyken View Post
    Give the shop the $10!
    x2

I cut 4 tires off my 4 rims with a Sawsall. I first cut the tire all the way around the bead about an inch or two above the rim. Then I used a grinder and carefully cut the lip of the tire down to the rim with a cutting wheel on the grinder.

I spent way too much time doing it. If I could have found a shop to do it I would have gladly paid the $10 ea.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

$10 is a bargain, even to just break them down. You can and probably will spend several hours if they are really stuck to the rims like they can get sometimes. Plus, if you have to buy tools, and spend the gas running around to get them, and learn how to use them, you are already financially in the hole.

But what is your time worth?
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Once I put a crowbar into my chin trying to be cheap and swap out a semi truck tire. I also bent the hell out an old motorcycle rim trying to get the original tire off. Cost over $100 to replace the rim.

$10 is well worth the price, lol.

If you're a glutton for punishment, Barrman did a write up on how to swap out the tires. Hopefully that wasn't lost on one of the crashes.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

The shops have the right equipment to get these old 45 year old tires off easier than you can. The $10 is well worth it.

Newer tires on modern vehicles, maybe you can break the beads easier and do it yourself.

The shop laughed at me when I took my M38A1 rims and tires in, he said it made the machine jump every time it broke the bead off those 50 year old tires.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

here is a trick i used to change my race car tires. get a pressure treated 2x12 about 6 ft. long. put 1 end on the tire against the edge of the wheel. drive another truck onto the board pushing the bead down & off.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by maximum destruction View Post
    here is a trick i used to change my race car tires. get a pressure treated 2x12 about 6 ft. long. put 1 end on the tire against the edge of the wheel. drive another truck onto the board pushing the bead down & off.
    I don't doubt it worked on a standard rim, but I kinda doubt that would get an old NDT broken down. I've tried (in this order) on a couple of really stubborn ones: a tire hammer, hi-lift jack, skid steer bucket, Komatsu dozer blade, and finally time and lots of WD-40 working around the rim slowly. I contemplated running the track of the dozer onto the tire, but I needed the rim, so that was out of the question.

I had a couple of them that I used the hi-lift on, under the front bumper of an M35A2 winch truck that actually raised the front of the deuce and didn't budge even after sitting for an hour that way.

The trick is to push straight down on them just under the lip of the lockring to get them free. Lots of pressure working around the rim and plenty of lubrication.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

If you're selling them, ask the buyer pay the extra shipping and let it go. You are going to lose (a) your time and (b) money for tools breaking these down or (c) money to the shop that you'll not get anything of value for. If they were for yourself, you'd realize the benefit of a little expense, but this is money spent for someone else's benefit coming out of your pocket. You are now in the hole. Don't forget you'll have to get rid of the tires somehow too, which if legal, isn't always free. I've been there many times bro, and to keep my word, I came up short in the end.