Thread: Part numbers for a civilian spark plug wire set

Default Part numbers for a civilian spark plug wire set

I have a stock M725 with a civilian distributor and spark plug wires. Has anyone purchased a "best quality", "ready-to-use", spark plug wire set that has factory installed terminal ends on the wires?

Will the "stock" 6-cyl gladiator plug set fit?

I have done several searches to the site with no results.

Thanks in advance
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

The wires terminal ends are of the screw on type. They won't work on a civy distributor I don't believe. Plugs and distributor have threaded tops.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I suspect the OP has an already converted ignition system with the civilian plugs and is looking for wires from say a 62-65 or so 230 CID Tornado engine. Unfortunately, I don't know the wires. But could be a 230-250 Chevrolet may be similar if the distributor is in the front of the engine rather the center?

When I did the civilian conversion with my military ignitor, I just went to the parts store and bought a universal 8 cylinder kit. It comes with a coil of wire and all of the ends. It was pretty inexpensive and I was able to build the wires however I wanted so it came out pretty clean. Of course this does not fit your "factory installed terminal" criteria, but I recall it being pretty easy to put the ends on. Having said that and never having seen a civilian setup, I would imagine they are certainly close enough that you could use an off the shelf set for the civilian 230 with your civilian distributor etc...

I forgot you were looking for the actual part number... There are a few jeeps that had the civilian 230 in them, but I can tell you the civilian fuel pump I bought was an airtex 6510, and any jeep vehicles which that pump fits (with the 230 (3.8L)), should also use the same plug wires. Searching for jeep applications of that pump will lead you to the models that you can use when ordering the plug wires.

This product fits the following Jeep J-2500 submodels

1967-1967: Base; 6 Cyl 3.8L; "GAS, CARB, Naturally Aspirated"
    1963-1965: Base; 6 Cyl 3.8L; "GAS, CARB, ND, Naturally Aspirated"
    1963-1965: Base; 6 Cyl 3.8L; "GAS, CARB, TD, Naturally Aspirated"
    1963-1965: Base; 6 Cyl 3.8L; "Gas, CARB, AD, Naturally Aspirated"

Well, I went to Advance auto parts looking for plugs and plug wires. Every 60s era 230 jeep took the same plug wire set, Autolite 96620, and they were all too short (11-16"). I even tried the 60-70s chevy 6-cyl plugs with the front distributor and they too were all too short.

Any ideas?
    Rochester, NY

I have read of some people buying 8 cylinder wire kits because there are supposedly some longer wires. My suggestion would be the universal wire kits. Sounds like a pain, but it's really pretty easy and you can get the wire lengths perfect, making for a much nicer finish...

I had to stand at the counter of Advance auto Parts studying the Autolite book to read all the pre-made spark plug wire set lengths and specs, and finally purchased an Autolite 96219 plug wire set (8-cylinder) to get the right lengths. Here is the link of the plug wire set specs (lengths: 25, 28, 28, 28, 32, 32, 34, 34-inches). http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-2

I will let you all know how well they fit when I get them installed soon.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
    Last edited by MJCougler; May 17th, 2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: url did not work
    Rochester, NY

The above v8 plug wire set worked great on my civilian ignition. One was shorter than I wanted, but it was just long enough.
    Rochester, NY