Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Box power

Exclamation Steering Box power

Hi all.

Ok, so I have a question about the turning power of the '76 series Saginaw steering boxes. From which year/make jeep will provide the most turning force, ratio wise?

My steering has never been great. Well, to be honest, it has been horrible. So I decided to try to fix it. The steering box that came on the truck from the past owner, I really have no idea where it came from or if it was any good. All I know is that it is a '76 series.

So I decided to install a new one from Napa for a 1980 jeep wagoneer, napa #NSP 88277079. This one doesn't have the power to turn 35's on the cement shop floor.

Ugh. My power steering pump and lines are new and functioning properly. I have jacked the front end up and with no weight on the front tires its turns great. So either I have to do a wheelie to turn the tires or fix this. As soon as I start letting the jack down and putting weight on the front tires it starts having problems. Also, I have jacked the front end up and disconnected the steering linkages and clocked the tires back and forth to feel for any binding, and there is none.

I suppose I could man up and just start working on my Popeye arms, but I really want to fix this. My other truck on 42" Boggers turns better than this thing ever did. I have started to fab up mounts for a box off a 1 ton dodge, but before I put to much effort into avoiding an easy fix that I am most certainly missing, I figured that I should ask first.

Thanks in advance!

Don't know much about the boxes but you could set it up for a hydro ram assist and turn it with one finger.

I haven't ruled out the ram assist yet, but I really want to quit throwing money down this pit. lol And I'd preferably like to solve the problem rather than overpowering it.

Jeep - Just Empty Every Pocket

I have a mid 70's Ford E-250 steering box on my truck and it steers the 38x15's like a 60's cadillac
    1968 M715
    1968 M725

Find a box from a J20 or a late 1990's Durango with the plow package. They have a larger piston diameter and are more powerful.

I have one in my 6x6. Even with the Cummins and PTO winch, the steering is never lacking in power. I do have a very small scrub radius, though.

What pitman arm do you have?

The pitman arm I have has around a 1" drop. Can't say for sure what its from exactly.

I have already tried using a Napa # PS 391046 gear box that takes 4 3/16 turns lock to lock. This thing couldn't turn my tires on an icy oil slick. Ugh. The one that was on the truck when I got it wasn't much better.

Good call on the durango box. I'm going to try a Napa # NSP 88278139 with 2 15/16 turns, lock to lock. I'm kinda assuming that the fewer turns means that it is geared lower for more power. Maybe 'geared' isn't the right way to put it its the best i can describe it. I hope the newer box means it will be readily available.

Many thanks for steering me in the right direction! pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by 5boltmain View Post
    The pitman arm I have has around a 1" drop. Can't say for sure what its from exactly.

I have already tried using a Napa # PS 391046 gear box that takes 4 3/16 turns lock to lock. This thing couldn't turn my tires on an icy oil slick. Ugh. The one that was on the truck when I got it wasn't much better.

Good call on the durango box. I'm going to try a Napa # NSP 88278139 with 2 15/16 turns, lock to lock. I'm kinda assuming that the fewer turns means that it is geared lower for more power. Maybe 'geared' isn't the right way to put it its the best i can describe it. I hope the newer box means it will be readily available.

Many thanks for steering me in the right direction! pun intended.

Don't get fooled by the "gearing". In a PS box, it's not the effort from the steering wheel that turns the truck. The gearing is more a measure of how quickly the steering is going to be and its feel.

If you get the Durango box, make sure you get the one with the plow package (I think this is the heavy duty one). If you go with a J20 one, you'll be able to pick either o-ring fittings or flare to fit your lines, depending on what year box you order.

In your pitman arm, what is the center to center length? (not counting the drop)

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I think you have a fluid pressure issue. Every M715 I've ever dealt with that has power steering turns the wheels just fine even all the way up to 42" tires.

I know it may sound like a small thing, but have you checked to see what the pump is from? Or is the bypass valve in the pressure fitting in the back of the pump installed correctly? Or is the belt tension correct?

I wouldn't assume the new pump is good either, especially if its a reman pump.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    I think you have a fluid pressure issue. Every M715 I've ever dealt with that has power steering turns the wheels just fine even all the way up to 42" tires.

I know it may sound like a small thing, but have you checked to see what the pump is from? Or is the bypass valve in the pressure fitting in the back of the pump installed correctly? Or is the belt tension correct?

I wouldn't assume the new pump is good either, especially if its a reman pump.
    x2.

Just because the P/S pump is "new" doesn't mean its good. I am a mechanic and you would be surprised at the number of "new" components I put on that are no good.

u really shouldn't be trying to turn the wheels while sitting still anyway. it is hard on everything especially the box mount on the frame. i've seen some trucks with the frame cracked from doing what u are talking about.why would u need to turn the wheels while sittin still? as long as it turns fine while in motion, u are good.