Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Brains

Default Calling all Brains

Guys i need to see if any one has had this or knows what the fix is....

The Battery Generator gauge is what i need to know about.

The gauge shows from left to right Red, Yellow, Green, Red.

when i start the M715 it goes to the Green (like it should) then a few minutes it drops to the right into the red and you can feel thats its not running right. almost like you are over powering the fire. Any ideas what to look into and any ideas of a fix? i dont know what to look for? Please ask around if you know of some one.

Thanks in advance

972-754-5205

dwrgencontractor@yahoo.com

Duran W Ray

DWR
    Duran W Ray

Unplug the small wire on the alternator and see if it runs just fine for 5 minutes or so. It sounds like your regulator is bad and kicking the alternator into full charge mode. Those things take a ton of power to charge at the normal 28.8 volts. Without the exciter wire hooked up, the alternator will just be a pulley with no load on the engine.

There is also an adjustment screw for the regulator. Get a real volt meter and see what you are actually betting for charging while running.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Dwr, you just received an answer from one of the best on the Zone. Go with it and good luck in your fix.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Just want to say thanks and i will check on that on Monday
    Duran W Ray

My first impression was that the regulator was pulling full charge and therefore maybe defective. But I have no experience with the M715 charging system (yet!) and was hoping others would know. I know that I have a slight drain on my truck when it is turned off. So, I disconnect the batteries when not using it. I will have to chase that down later.

Please let us know what you find?

If you have a small drain with the battery off, put a ammeter on the battery and then disconnect the alternator to see if that is the problem. A bad diode/regulator in the alternator will drain the batteries. And since there are so few electrical consumers on the truck that's the first place I look.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    If you have a small drain with the battery off, put a ammeter on the battery and then disconnect the alternator to see if that is the problem. A bad diode/regulator in the alternator will drain the batteries. And since there are so few electrical consumers on the truck that's the first place I look.
    Thanks! That is exactly what I was thinking. The only "electronic" part of the truck is the alternator regulator. Everything else is analog so to speak.

Alternator, push button 3 lever switch and stuck brake light switch are about all there is to drain the batteries if the on/off switch is good.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Barrman and all,

I did as you said and disconnected the small wire. she is running fine. so that would mean the regulator needs to be replaced? that is the one under the small cover on the alternator. Who and where will i find those? I also lost my driving lights, just up front so would that be a bulb maybe even if i have turn singnals , or is there any fuse to look for? I see your from this Great land of Texas God Bless for your help. i can still take her for a ride with out that right?

DWR could ask you a thousand ??? so if ever you need to talk, haha
    Duran W Ray

i was wrong both front and back running lights or out? all else is working? any thing to look for . took cover off front lingt balbs all look good
    Duran W Ray