Thread: Front axle

Default Front axle

The input shaft bearing on my front axle exploded yesterday any ideas where to find parts ? Is it a huge job to rebuild the front diff ?

Its a decent amount of work for someone thats done the job before. It requires some special tools. Were it someone that had never done one, or didn't have a friend that had the experience & was willing to help, I'd buy a used axle from someone in the for sale section(not me) or Ebay.

I'm assuming the bearing made a mess of everything else as well? If the ring and pinion are still ok, it's not that hard to change the bearings/ seals and usually you can change out the bearings without having to worry about resetting your ring and pinion tolerances. The only "special" tool you'd need for that is a press, to press the old bearing races off and the new ones on. Maybe if you have a picture of what happened we can help you determine what parts need to be replaced...

I pulled the cover and what I can see of the ring gear looks ok, there were a few pieces that looked like teeth fragments that came out with the bearing parts. I haven't really investigated in depth yet but it looks like the inside bearing on the pinion shaft came apart. All the gears I can see look ok but when I have a minute I'll lift her up and rotate the wheels and see if I can get a better look.

Probably cheaper to switch axles. M715 front axles usually go for peanuts.

Default options

Does anyone know if there is an option for a front axle swap that would be an upgrade and wouldn't take a lot of major alterations ? Not planning on changing the rear axle so the original rims would have to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by rsaloio View Post
    Does anyone know if there is an option for a front axle swap that would be an upgrade and wouldn't take a lot of major alterations ? Not planning on changing the rear axle so the original rims would have to fit.
    I can't think of a simple one. But we did make spacers to fit the stock rims on a 1988 GM Dana 60 axle.

In my opinion, a lot more bang for the buck than upgrading the stock axles.