Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Troop Seats Question Please

Default Yet Another Troop Seats Question Please

I finally have the hardware for troop seats. I don't have the wood but I can get oak from the Home Depot or Lowe's. So I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1) What is the thickness, width and length of the troop seat wood #1, #6, #15, #22 please? (#15 may be the whole assembly?) Are the seat back woods the same as the seat bottom woods the same except for hole location?

2) I know that they list different part numbers and for the troop seat supports; center and ends. What is the difference in the outboard #19 and center #21 troop seat brackets please? Is one longer than the other one?

3) Thanks in advance for any hints or answers.

Last edited by Don Cavey; March 14th, 2012 at 04:35 PM.

I can check tomorrow afternoon for you, unless someone chimes in first.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

The center support is shorter because it rests on top of the wheel well, against the side of the bed. The slats are all the same length. I'll run out to the garage & measure them.

The (original)slats are 87" long, 3" wide & 3/4" thick. All of the mounting bolts are carriage bolts & the mounting holes are counter bored so the the carriage bolt heads sit flush(do not stick up above the slat surface). If I remember correctly, the slats are white oak & the edges are rounded. Hope this helps Don!
    Darryl

Thank you all so very much. The truck is in Florida and I am in Maryland. I was hoping to possibly at least make the wood and then take it to Florida. I have six of the seat supports; all long ones so I can shorten two of them for the center.

Thanks again very much!

One thing that I forgot to mention: the ends of the slats are not rounded.

Center leg is shorter and rests on wheel well as Dbaumanjr suggests. Here is a pic of how it looks together.

Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Dbaumanjr View Post
    One thing that I forgot to mention: the ends of the slats are not rounded.
    I guess what you mean is that the ends are cut square but the lengths are rounded. I will use a router for that feature. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kyken View Post
    Center leg is shorter and rests on wheel well as Dbaumanjr suggests. Here is a pic of how it looks together.

Thanks for the picture. It does make sense. Since I have six long legs, I guess all that I will have to do is to measure the distance and cut two of the long legs to that length. Could you possibly measure the lengths of the end and center supports please?

Guys, I really do appreciate all of the time that you have taken to respond. What I plan to do is to sand and paint the hardware. Since it is for indoor use, I won't go crazy with primer etc. Rather, I will retain the original finish as a binder and top coat it. For the wood, I intend to use Krylon OD paint as a base to save on the quantity of 24087 paint from the rattle can.

Does anyone know did the original m715 have the oak slats painted? I'm just asking because I'm about to get a set of the hardware and think the imprinted oak looks great.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety

Quote Originally Posted by SERE Guy View Post
    Does anyone know did the original m715 have the oak slats painted? I'm just asking because I'm about to get a set of the hardware and think the imprinted oak looks great.
    The original oak slats were painted OD with no primer. The wood was smooth but not "furniture grade".