Thread: Dt 466 diesel. Will it fit?

Default Dt 466 diesel. Will it fit?

Will a dt 466 out of an old school bus fit in a 715? How about with the 5 speed alison that came with them. All I know so far is they r heavy, sleeved, and can be built up to around 1500lb & 700 ponies. Way more than I want or need but if it would fit may be a cheeper option than a cummins.

i had on in my tow truck (2004) great engine. i think it will be to tall, and long its a big engine.

Anything can be made to fit. However, a 6BT is about as big and heavy as you would want to go in a M715. Sure, there is a picture on here somewhere of a guy that fit what you are talking about in one. He had no front running lights and the firewall was about where the current shifter is, but it did fit.

Cheap diesel, then look for a GL surplus 6.2. Depending on the transmission you put behind it. A 6.2 can be bought, installed and made to run for less than $1000. No need for axle changes either due to the not much heavier than a big block aspect of the 6.2/6.5. Add a turbo and add another $1500.

Something else to think about is the front area of the M715 for cooling. There is not much room if you want to keep the stock blinker buckets. Big diesel power means a turbo and intercooler. Big Allison transmission means a big cooler. Big diesel engine means a big radiator. A/C means a condensor. You can make 1 of those fit and still have a mechanical fan. Go electric pusher fan and you can make 2 of the above listed fit, maybe.

It is your truck, so do as you wish. However, it might be worth your time to click on the "Modified" forum and go back to the begining. Read every single thread. You will get a feel for what fits, what doesn't, what is affordable and what just cost money and headaches.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

However, it might be worth your time to click on the "Modified" forum and go back to the begining. Read every single thread. You will get a feel for what fits, what doesn't, what is affordable and what just cost money and headaches.
    Big + 1 on that. I think a reread is in order. I have read everything in the archives at one point but not only do I keep changing my mind my trucks seem to keep multiplying. Add to that getting deals on some parts and my poor memory!!! Well you get the idea. My build will be so much easyer Stock is stock so fewer options. Thanks, after looking a small bit more a dt 360 seems like a better option being closer in size to a 12 valve. It just comes down to what come available @ the best price. As well as what works well together.

Be carefull with the Allison search too. Unless it is an overdrive, you will just be wasting your time in my opinion. If it is OD. Does it require a computer and electrical input? What about shifter set up?

I had a Detroit 453/Allison combination in a motor home I was thinking about putting into a M truck. I just could never make the running down the road numbers match the investment numbers.

The M715 is right on the line between easy to find and somewhat cheap 1 ton and smaller parts and big truck parts. I think that is why the 6BT is such a good choice for these trucks. It bridges the line like no other engine. Until you do like what I am trying to do for Sermis. 6BT, 5 speed, mechanical fan and air conditioning. All without cutting the firewall. It has to be a VE pump engine without an intercooler and manual transmission only.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Even a DT360 is pretty big and heavy for a 715. Not saying it can't be done but a Cummins 5.9/4bt or GM 6.2/6.5 fit much better.

Thanks guys, guess I'm just trying to reinvent the wheel. On my modified truck I'm planing rockwells, 46" xlm, probably Duce trans, 12 valve, divorced 205 ? I also would like to run a Duce winch. So far I only have the rockwells( to good a deal to pass up) need rebuilt. Think I need to stick to the plan and work on the details not wast time chasing " new ideas". Luckily I have a great resource with so many knowlagable people with experience I can pull from.