Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help deciding which way to go? Pto?

Default Need help deciding which way to go? Pto?

I have 3 715s one to restore to original, one to modify,one for parts. Out of those 3 only one runs with the 230. I have spent all I can on them for a while so other than cleaning up and swapping parts I won't b doing much.
    One of my non running trucks is a winch truck so I had planed on pulling my good motor and installing in it. BUT I started thinking. Other than some slow leaking frount break cylinders I know the drive train is in good shape compleat with changed fluids. The winch truck I know nothing about. So I think I may be better off switching the winch parts for now? I want to keep a 715 going at all times while working on the other. having a winch is pointless unless it on a running truck. What do u think swap motor or winch. If winch what all is involved in connecting the pto back to the transmition. Iv heard it will have to be shimmed? Or is it just bolt on?Will I need a gasket? Clueless!! Thanks Matt

Keep the winch on the winch truck. That's how it was certified.
    Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by kyken View Post
    Keep the winch on the winch truck. That's how it was certified.
    Is this from a purist standpoint, or some structural integrity?

Did all trucks have a winch data plate, even if they didnt have a winch?

Quote Originally Posted by maskale View Post
    Is this from a purist standpoint, or some structural integrity?

Did all trucks have a winch data plate, even if they didnt have a winch?
    It is just a matter of history. The winch equipped trucks had a different Federal Stock Number. But the parts were all there to make either truck. If you switch parts around, it is not a big deal other than the truck will not be "authentic". I don't think that our trucks are that unique that changing equipment will change the value or historical value. Remember that in the beginning, a Pontiac GTO was just an option, not a model. That is why there are a lot of clone GTOs out there.

If you are a purist, you may want to just move the good parts over to the winch truck if you want a winch truck. I am sure that my truck started life as an M724. But it had no data plate so I just stamped a W/Winch truck data plate with the serial number that matches the title. For that matter, I can't find the serial number on the front of the frame. It may be on the rear location but that is covered.

I guess it all boils down to what do you want? It is your equipment and think of this. You are at least keeping another one of the trucks away from the crusher. Your call...

To answer your question, yes the PTO does need to be shimmed. This is done by using multiple gaskets until the proper backlash between the PTO gears and the transmission gears is achieved. Not a difficult task if you have the proper tool.
    While I have never swapped an engine or swapped a winch, I do have a winch setup that I plan on swapping in to my truck. To be honest, I don't think it will be that difficult. I'm not sure what's involved with pulling the engine and if there are any particularly difficult parts to it, but I'm sure someone who has done it will comment...

Personally, I would base my switch on what truck is in all around better condition. Keeping a vehicle perfectly authentic is not an easy task, and in the end does it really matter that much? If you should ever decide to sell it, I can almost bet the buyer will be looking at the truck for overall condition and driveability, not whether the numbers match. These aren't old muscle cars or antique firearms where people look for all matching numbers. These trucks, as in old military firearms were used, abused, and serviced during combat in some situations. Parts were exchanged in motorpools around the globe. As a military firearms collector and Army veteran, I know alot of weapons were kept in service with parts from other weapons. Same way with MV's. The way I feel about authentic, and original is simply, are all the parts real and made for that application, be it a truck or weapon. In a perfect world everything would be...well, perfect. Sometimes it's just not meant to be. Keeping these vehicle alive and well, and on the road in public view is my personal main goal. One of the reasons I've shyed away from the car and especially the muscle car scene is because at shows/cruises I got tired and to old to try and keep the car clean and shinny and then have some judge gig me on a speck of dust under the wheelwell. Our trucks are rugged looking and the truth of the matter is, alittle dust or scratch or piece of dirt somewhere only adds to the patina of the total look. Whew! I've got to get down off my soapbox now, I'm feeling dizzy. Again, this is only my opinion, for what it's worth.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Personally, I would base my switch on what truck is in all around better condition. ...

...Whew! I've got to get down off my soapbox now, I'm feeling dizzy. Again, this is only my opinion, for what it's worth.
    Bravo! That is an excellent suggestion/observation. And all of the points that you have made are spot on. I hate the "Concours" judging when I take my Corvair to a show. I either want it not judged or the Peoples' Choice. I go to shows to see cars or trucks, not pick apart others' efforts.

Agreed, the most important feature for me would be best condition. And, it is your equipment to do whatever you wish...

Thanks for covering my back Don. The last thing I want to do is offend anyone. I just like to voice my opinion sometimes with no harm intended. Their's alot of people on this site younger than me, (I found that out in the age survey I started) and because of that maybe alot of varying opinions. Being that we're about the same age and used these trucks while in the Army, maybe we see things alittle differently. I'm just thrilled to own one the way I remember them 42 years ago. Ouch! 42 years ago 2/3rd's of the people on this site weren't even born yet!
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I agree with you,militarypotts put all the best parts together to make one truck. Who knows how many of the parts on them now are orignal.One reason not a lot of certain parts are not around is because the intention was to take parts from the truck in the worst shape in a unit to keep the rest running. Look in the front of the manual and it explains what can be rebuilt and how to choose the sacraficial truck.
    DaveJ

I Maybe a bit of a purist but as Don said, more for the history of it. Maybe even for the resale value too. I personally would rather have a truck that is what it was supposed to be. Just my 2 cents worth...
    Thanks for all the help!