Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bed flares

Default bed flares

hey guys.i've wanted a 715 since i was a kid. it took 30 yrs. but i finally acquired 1 running & complete with a nice body for 2000.00. it needs a couple pieces to be perfect. i was wondering if any of u have experience in fabbing or replacing the flare over the wheel? my bed is rustfree & straight except for the right flare where a tree grabbed it. this truck is being cosmetically restored to factory mil. specs & i don't want to use any body filler in it, but will have a modernized driveline so it can be driven daily if need be.

Welcome to the Zone. Glad you got your wish. Help will arrive shortly. I'm sure a flare shouldn't be to difficult. Looking at the other side and getting the right dimensions. The price seemed very fair. Glad you plan on bringing it back to mil. specs. Good luck.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Most fab shops with a shear and a roll and band saw can can make one in 30 minutes. If I was still in the business I would say about $60.00

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Straightening your flare may be the best option. The flares do not unbolt or remove from the bed as they are welded in place and a bit tricky to remove cleanly.

Metal work takes patience, but you can make it smooth with no filler with enough time. Remember too, that these trucks were never perfect even when new and certainly not when in service. You can see spot welds on the body, and areas where the sheetmetal wasn't perfectly straight, plus door seams and such were never perfectly aligned.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    Straightening your flare may be the best option. The flares do not unbolt or remove from the bed as they are welded in place and a bit tricky to remove cleanly.

Metal work takes patience, but you can make it smooth with no filler with enough time. Remember too, that these trucks were never perfect even when new and certainly not when in service. You can see spot welds on the body, and areas where the sheetmetal wasn't perfectly straight, plus door seams and such were never perfectly aligned.
    i've been a collision tech. all my life & unfortunately it has left me with OPD(outrageously picky disease).lol. i know they were'nt perfect, even todays cars are'nt, but i will make it as close as possible. i really hate filler. i've used it forever & although not a bad product, i hate the idea of using it in something i own.

Maximum...
    Good to see a fellow Georgia boy...

I think I may have a couple options for you. PM me.

I have either the old fenders I cut off my truck, which were a little tweaked, but not too bad. I took them off with a plasma cutter at the bed-edge, so it's pretty clean.

Or I can show show you what I did to replace them (which is admittedly UN-stock) here:

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/j...715%20Fenders/

Hey Bluesman, not bad at all. Almost looks as tho they belong. What's with the rearend filler neck? Did you relocate the fuel tank? That too blends rather nicely. Nice job all around.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Not sure what kinda work you wanna put into it but the way my truck was done by the forestry service really did help to protect not only the flares but the rocker panels and the floor pans the step sides bolt to the frame rails and the metal goes around the whole truck curving with the flares and then another piece was welded on the outward facing part. I intend to leave mine as is because of the protection it gives you might think of doing something like this on maybe a more form fitting scale. Just my 2 cents keep in mine that this is your truck have fun with it and welcome to the Zone.
    Chris

Vintage power wagon has something they call a replacement fender
    It is a very basic piece of metal with a rolled lip.
    I think it was around $ 70. I bought one. I have not used it.
    If you want I can dig it out and take a picture.
    My fenders have a slight flare at the edge I would kinda like to keep the little flare.
    Bluesman's flares look like the most useful and sturdy of any I have seen.
    Well done Bluesman!

Hey Chris, I've never seen fenders quite like that before. Someone took alot of time to configure that all the way around the truck. Quite sure it beefed up the strength of the fenders a bit. Unusual to say the least.