Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project "Old Iron Sides"

Default Project "Old Iron Sides"

Greetings everyone. Ever since a was a little kid and saw the movie "Tremors" i have been a fan of the fullsize jeep. My first truck was a 90 grand wagoneer, and my second truck was an 88 Grand wagoneer. See the pattern. In the spring of 09 i pruchesed a M715 in non running condition. The frame was in great shape as well as the body, and living in wisconsin i feel thats more important than a good motor with a crap body. To make a long story short i wanted to start from the ground up. I stripped it down to to a rolling chassis, sold the 230ci sewing machine to a fellow M715 owner for 100 bucks, had the frame sand blasted and rhino lined. And its been in storage since 09 due to other projects. Now that the other projects are done it time to roll the old kaiser in to the labratory for a little surgry.
    1. My plan is a sbc 350 which i already have.
    2. Spicer 3053a trans
    3. Divorced Np205, Or atlas.
    4. Cucv dana 60 , 14 bolt rear. which i already have.
    5.Spring over front, 63in chevy rear leafs, with custom hangers/shackles.
    6. 42in tires, havent decided what.
    7. I want it to cosmeticly look stock with good faded paint. and be reliable enought to drive on my yearly Canada trip. The ideas i have listed havent even scratched the surface, so i'll update as i go along.

How do I post pics?

The Ultimate in pic-posting help

My only suggestion is to use photobucket instead... It's a little more user friendly and easier to navigate for me anyways.

imageshack.us works good too

Good, more Wisconsin members.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Here is a picture of the Rihino Lined frame one i got it back to my shop. This is my first time trying to upload an image...so dont laugh if i dont work.lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That looks like a good solid start. Keep the pictures coming as you progress
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Front Dana 60 out of a CUCV pickup with spring perches removed. Axles got around 30,000 on them, upon inspection the fluid i drained looked good, no chips in the teeth, and the steering was good and tight. I'm going to replace all the kingpins, u-joints, bearings, seals, ect. Working on axles is like playing with legos.

Another picture of the frame.

Spring perches from Ruff Stuff Specialties.

Just a thought, but if you haven't already welded up your front spring perches, you might consider using the stock Chevy spring width. It lines up perfectly under the frame. You can then use Chevy front springs with new mounts under the frame. I used 3/4 ton Chevy front springs. I got the idea from Ryanroo who posted his build on here a while back.

I thought about using the longer Chevy springs in the rear, but for now decided to go with Hell Creek's 3/4 ton 4 inch lift springs for a full size Jeep pickup. Easy bolt on, softer ride, and the lift I wanted. I did have to change the mounts on the CUCV 14 bolt rear end.

Either way, sounds like you have a good build plan. Good luck with the build.

Thanks for the advice, i do like the idea of moving the springs under the frame, and chevy springs, and related components are easy to come by. But for simplicity reasons i figured it would be less complicated to modify two points "The Axle", Vs. 4 points, Hangers, shackel mount. But it would defenitly improve ride, flex, ect. As for the Rear, my frame has a broken shackel pin. The part thats welded to the frame that the shackle pivots on. So insted of a bunch of beat'in cut'in, and curse'in, im going to fab up some custom hangers/shackle mounts and use the 63in 3/4ton chevy springs. Petersons 4-Wheel & off road magazine did something similer to a dodge M-37 awhile back.... I think i keep spelling shackle wrong my spell check aint working.