Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Default Tires

I know it has been addressed before but I was wondering if anyone is running the michelin XML's on the stock rims and if so what size tube does it take? I purchased a set of the 325/85R16 Michelin XML's and I would hate to have to return them or buy new rims. I have heard of some guys running the 38x12.5 super swamper which are basicaly the same size so I think they will fit but wanted to be sure before I get to involved in getting the old ones off.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety

I'm in the market for tires myself yes they will fit. It's been said they r some of the best tires for our trucks bar none by very respected and imformed zoners. I'm not sure of tube size sorry. Iv looked all over and can't find them new or used in good shape and price . If u don't mind please pm me where u were able to get them if they have any more as well as price thanks. Matt. Sure someone will b along soon with links and part # for the tubes u will need. Love this group of people.

They'll FIT... but it's gonna' be a heck of a job getting 'em on. They're really built for a wider wheel. You'll need to do all sorts of clever things to get the wheel apart & back together - more than normal, I mean.

Since that tire in that size runs a section width of 12.79", I think a 12.00x16 tube should fit pretty nearly correctly. Too small & it'll stretch too much inside the tire. Too large & it'll wrinkle in there.

One more thing... don't expect a lot of tread wear if you run 'em on these narrow 7" wheels. The tread will roll off into sidewalls quickly because of the narrow wheel, leaving you with a skinny doughnut of tread that ever actually touches the road... so the center of your tread will wear a LOT faster than the corners will; the corners will have quite a lot of meat left on 'em when you're down to the wear bars in the middle.

What is the difference between Michelin XL's and Michelin XML's? Just for future reference. Thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Hey Potts here is a link for you on the difference in the tires http://militarytires.com/ Our size is the 325/85R16 in the XML and the 11.00R16 in the XL. Looks like a 2 inch width difference just to start off with like TDH said, also what he said about the tube size and wearing is correct for that tire. The XL's are the better size imho.
    Chris

You can run he 325/85R16 (255/100R16 would be the correct choise) with the 11.00x16 tubes without problems, however care for the proper tube order. 6.5 rims originally are a bit small, however, it works without problems. The tube should be a S 16 P 9.00/11.00-16 which is the correct tube according to European ordering procedures.
    Hope this helps.
    Wolf

Thanks Chris, the chart was very clear and answered any question one may need about the tires. Only my opinion, but the Michelin 1100R16 XL's seem to be the all around tire to go with. They're tall and give the truck a nice stance. Not sure how they would perform in the mud or rock climbing, but for my use they are perfect. Thanks again.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I was thinking Xls sorry. Yep they r great for our trucks. But I can't find any Xls. Heck I can't seem to find any 38" swampers that can b gotten locally. All distrubiters r out of stock. Will a 38 13 r16 fit on stock wheel ? They priced me some right b 4 they said they can't get them in.

Okay so after reading what you guys are saying my best bet may be to buy 4 new mrt custom rims. That way I dont need to use tubes and then I can run the tires with no problems. Now another question the original rims have a 5.5 back spacing should I adjust that to 4.5 so the tires dont rub? Oh and when itcomes to tires im a complete idiot
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety

One thing about MRT wheels you've gotta' be aware of - the minor ID of their rims is 13", so you MUST measure your brakes to be sure the MRTs will fit. If you've got drums, measure the OD of the drums. If you've got disks, measure the rotors & add DOUBLE the height of the caliper.

For backspacing... you'll need enough backspacing to clear the wheelwell at full turn. Check your tire clearance now, with the steering cranked fully to both sides. If you can get the wider tire in there without rubbing, under full spring compression (heavy loading or high articulation), then keep the same backspacing but adjust so it's at about the same spot in the treadwidth. Go too far in either direction & it'll screw up your alignment and make the truck a monster to steer. You really need to think through the math to get the right backspacing - it's not as simple as it looks.