Thread: Starter switch and wiring harness questions

Default Starter switch and wiring harness questions

Hello, Just dropped a Chevy 350 truck engine into a M715 I found in the hills of Long Island NY. I need to know what is the best way to set up the starter. It will be 12v. Do most use a starter button type or key type. Also is there any particular wiring harness ie painless etc to get the basics up and running Thanks Oldboy

Members have used both setups for the starter...I guess it does depend on where you are going with the truck long term...you mentioned looking at a painless harness...if you are going to do a bunch of wiring, you can easily go either way on the starter switch.
    Whether you want to keep the stock look or not is a key decision to make...maybe not if the wiring is bad and will be modernized but I dont know your details...

Guess it would help to know your plans for the truck and its current state...

People have bought different painless harnesses and made them work...I think the 8 circuit is enough to make things work...going to a 12 is plenty for a stock truck with a few extras...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks Brute, I will probably pick up the 12 circuit harness. The truck is in OK shape, but it now has a rebuilt 350 silverado eng in it now. I'll probably use a starter button with power cutouts on the battery. Thanks again, and ditto that prayer, Oldboy

Dont know if you have seen the wiring diagrams in the Online Maintenance Manuals section...there is one for a stock truck and one with slight mods that might be of value for you...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I used a wiring harness from a company called EZ WIRING they make them in various applications and a lot cheaper than painless. Check their website i believe i used a 8 circuit harness for a pickup truck. Also i just used a cheap universal ignition switch with a key.

Quote Originally Posted by ken ruhland View Post
    I used a wiring harness from a company called EZ WIRING they make them in various applications and a lot cheaper than painless. Check their website i believe i used a 8 circuit harness for a pickup truck. Also i just used a cheap universal ignition switch with a key.
    Same here. I bought one off of ebay for under 100.00:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-circuit-un...item256b935f9b
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Thanks I order tha EZ kit looks good!