Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Paint from Rubber?

Default Removing Paint from Rubber?

Last night I disassembled the window frames from the glass and got the frames all painted up.

The fire dept that had previously painted it didn't take the frames apart and painted a good bit of the rubber. The rubber is all in nice shape.

My question is how do I safely remove the paint from rubber? I don't want to use lacquer thinner or nay harsh chemicals as I am pretty sure it would eat the rubber.
    1967 M715 w/ 454 and TH400

I had the same problem with a tire. The wheel had been painted and was covered with the red oxide primer. Someone painted over the primer with a gray paint. I just used the usual thick paint remover. It didn't harm the rubber at all and all of the paint came off.

But.... you may be interested in what I did. I bought new windows from the various vendors that we have. It was the glass and the frame. I know that what they have is usually for the passenger side. But it comes apart and you can just remove the non-scratched glass and rubber from the new and use it on the driver side. You can also just use the other new stuff on the passenger side. Sometimes it is just easier.

That's a tough one. I would use some 0000 steel wool, but their's really no way to put any pressure on the surface to rub it. Don's way worked for him, so maybe give it a try. Good luck.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I have also used a soda blaster from HF with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    That's a tough one. I would use some 0000 steel wool, but their's really no way to put any pressure on the surface to rub it. Don's way worked for him, so maybe give it a try. Good luck.
    For that matter, if you have paint remover, "try a small spot" as the tags on clothing say! Or, buy a small pint or quart size. I will tell you that it was slow most likely because the paint was good stuff and the remover was very old. But it made absolutely no change in the rubber. I just hosed it off and then scrubbed it with detergent, dried it and painted the wheel. I see that I missed a few spots. I will have to touch them up with more paint remover.

Also, paint remover is very slow if it is cold...

Dot 3 brake fluid works well on plastics and most rubber to remove paint, but as mentioned I would try a small surface first and be patient. Good luck!

RM
    If it ain't broke, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Dot 3 brake fluid works well on plastics and most rubber to remove paint, but as mentioned I would try a small surface first and be patient. Good luck!

RM
    That's a good suggestion. How many of us have dripped brake fluid on the fender of the car only to find spots that never came off???

I used lacquer thinner on a rag to clean the red paint off of much of my rubber. Use 303 protectant to re vitalize the rubber, the stuff is amazing. I soaked the goofy shaped cab to door seals in it for months and it made them pliable again when I thought they were done for. Nice truck by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    I have also used a soda blaster from HF with good results.
    I like the idea of the soda blaster I watched a some videos on YouTube they are great. I'd love to have one.

I soda blasted a carb for under $15.00. I googled soda blasting , and found that it was pretty easy to make one. I posted the results here:
    Soda blasting a carb
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15