Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Issues

Default Clutch Issues

Throw-out bearing went. I got a new clutch disc, pressure plate, thow-out bearing and pilot bearing from good source. Got it all back together...No clutch. Grinds when I attempt to put in gear-any gear.

Adjusted the clutch all the way out and I can start truck in gear with clutch pedal to floor and the truck does not jump forward. But when I attempt to change gears, it grinds.

I can see the throwout bearing move forward and engage the fingers of the pressure plate.

Pulled the transmission, left the clutch parts installed. I then installed a spare transmission input shaft. With clutch adjusted all the way out I can barely spin the shaft and pressure plate by hand.

Pulled clutch plate, pressure plate, and throwout bearing and compared to original parts. The OLD throwout bearing collar is about 1/4 inch SHORTER than the new one. I carefully reassembled the new disc, new pressure plate and new throwout bearing. Using the spare input shaft I can freely spin the disc until I start tightening the pressure plate bolts.

It's all back together and the same thing: With the clutch adjusted all the way out I can barely spin the disc by hand with the spare input shaft.

I'd reinstall the old pressure plate but the fingers are worn badly due to the thowout bearing disintegrating.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Can you remove the old bearing from the old collar and then press the new bearing on to the old collar? Or am I missing something. If I understand you correctly, you the "new" throwout is too short.

The post is too long and may confuse. The old throwout collar is shorter than the new one. Plus my NOS bearings don't fit the "old" collar.

Is the clutch disk installed the correct way. When i put mine in last week one side said flywheel.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

A throwout bearing collar that is too long could be pushing the diaphragm fingers in too far and causing the clutch to not fully release.

There also could be an issue with the pilot bearing. Did you replace it? If its not free it can still spin the input shaft, even if the clutch is releasing.

As mentioned, is the clutch disc installed correctly?

Did you have the flywheel resurfaced? I don't know about the stock flywheel, but is there a step on it? If there was and it was ground flat that may be a problem too.

You said you got the parts from a "good source." Was that an MV supplier, or an aftermarket parts store?
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Default Clutch Part 2

Replaced the "new" pressure plate and disc with the "old" pressure plate and disc using "new" throwout bearing. Works perfect. With the clutch pedal adjusted for 1 inch free travel, I can push in the clutch pedal and then easily spin the disc using the spare transmission input shaft that I use as an alignment tool.

Replaced the "old" pressue plate with the "new" one. Same old story. I have to adjust the clutch all the way out and then I can barely spin the disc with the clutch to the floor.

I just ordered a pressure plate from Memphis equipment.

Just because I am curious....

What is the configuration of the pressure plate?

Does it have 3 "fingers" that the throwout bearing pushes on OR does it have a whole bunch of fingers there?

The whole bunch are called Diaphragm type and the 3 finger are either a Long or Borg and Beck style.

The 3 finger type have heavier springs per finger and tend to last longer and do better, in my opinion...the diaphragm type are weaker springs per finger and tend to lose their return strength quicker...both styles have roughly the same overall total spring pressure.

Bad thing with the 3 finger is that when one goes bad or breaks, its usually game over...a diaphragm can have a couple go bad and not be as detrimentally affected.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default Clutch Issues

Both my old one and the "new" one, as well as the one coming from ME are the three finger type.

Let us know your good source, so we won't buy one.

Thanks for the answer...wish I had the reason...

Hopefully you can get your money back on the bad one...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!